Some more regulator irregularities

justinoberle

Joined Jun 16, 2021
hi J,
I am not trying to be difficult, I would like to help.:)
The method and selection of the 0V/Gnd of the Test equipment will effective the observed 'fault' signals that you are seeing.
Consider the current that is flowing along the wires, which have some resistance value, that will produce a voltage drop across the jumper wires as also will the contact resistances of the BB.

Do you follow OK.?
E
No worries. I am just a hobbyist so I accept any and all replies. And, yours are helpful. When you say this "The method and selection of the 0V/Gnd of the Test equipment" what do you mean exactly? The GND is connected to the negative rail on the BB from the battery housing with a wire. Is that an example of what you are referring to?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi J,
Consider your very 1st post image , the top one.
Where did you clip on the 0V lead of the equipment you used to get that result.
E

Look at the GREEN wire on this marked up drawing.

Added a 2nd image.
Note the RED wire, you have that BLUE resistor 0V reference on a different BB.

Attachments

Last edited:

justinoberle

Joined Jun 16, 2021
hi J,
Consider your very 1st post image , the top one.
Where did you clip on the 0V lead of the equipment you used to get that result.
E

Look at the GREEN wire on this marked up drawing.
These are the ground connections. 2 for the ADC and 1 for the ESP8266. There is one more for the sensor but it is irrelevant as I have run this with and without and got the same result.
1.jpg

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Check the 2nd image I added to my last post.

Believe me, you will have the problems you are seeing, using that existing layout.

E

justinoberle

Joined Jun 16, 2021
hi,
Check the 2nd image I added to my last post.

Believe me, you will have the problems you are seeing, using that existing layout.

E
Sorry for the confusion but forget about the double battery as that image shows. That is NOT the setup now as I mentioned when I posted it. Now it is simply one battery with the neg going to the neg rail and the pos going to the pos rail. Also, my single BB setup works, so it must be a bad connection or wire somewhere I assume. Also, the blue line you show is the voltage reducing resistors. the other is connected to +. It is this...
Capture7.PNG
I have to reduce the voltage to a measurable value or it will return 1023 constant.

justinoberle

Joined Jun 16, 2021
hi Justin,
Use only one BB, if you cannot get the battery pack on the same BB, put at the end of the BB that has the components and place in the order shown for the various components.

E
You definitely helped me resolve this. I moved the GND connections to the direct source on the BB with the battery and the data look perfect. That was the issue! Thank you! Both setups work as I would expect now.