[SOLVED] Counter IC does not count

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
but I'm confused on what will I do. and I think my 7 segment display is broken :<<< it just gone crazy;<
hi g,
Don't worry, we have all been there at some time.
Take a step back and use the two push buttons again and retest the 4026, when you have confirmed that is OK let me know.

Got you up to date photo....

E

Update:
This photo is not a bit of help, what is the purpose of the LED's etc..?EG 1090.png

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
hi g,
Don't worry, we have all been there at some time.
Take a step back and use the two push buttons again and retest the 4026, when you have confirmed that is OK let me know.

Got you up to date photo....

E

Update:
This photo is not a bit of help, what is the purpose of the LED's etc..?View attachment 254448
yeah thanks, I think the segment display is broken :<<. the leds are there just so I can check the output produce. I also need to connect a buzzer that will alarm when the counter reached 10. but I might need to repurchase a 7 segment first:3

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
You can test the 7 seg, remove all 7 resistors, keep the two 0v lines to the LED connected.

Use one of the resistors from 5v and touch the other end of the resistor to a to g segments of the LED, one at a time, they should light up.

E

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
hi,
You can test the 7 seg, remove all 7 resistors, keep the two 0v lines to the LED connected.

Use one of the resistors from 5v and touch the other end of the resistor to a to g segments of the LED, one at a time, they should light up.

E
yes, thank you. I tested them and 'e' does not light up:< idk what happened. Also, they just started blinking like crazy even tho there's no input:<

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
yes, thank you. I tested them and 'e' does not light up:< idk what happened. Also, they just started blinking like crazy even tho there's no input:<
hi,

E
thank you so much for your help today :) I hope you can help me again tomorrow:))))

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
We debugged the 4026 got it test working the LED, using push buttons, I advised her not to mess with the LED rough wiring until we had found the other problem.

Sadly, I suspect she didn't listen to my advice and tried to tidy it and so damaged a LED segment.

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
We debugged the 4026 got it test working the LED, using push buttons, I advised her not to mess with the LED rough wiring until we had found the other problem.

Sadly, I suspect she didn't listen to my advice and tried to tidy it and so damaged a LED segment.
hello, I tried to borrow a spare segment display and I will place them neatly this time

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021

BTW, I just followed this guy's circuit on yt his circuit works fine mine does not :<

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
With any circuit, whether there are two connections or two hundred connections, everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

Your objective is learning how to diagnose a problem in a systematic fashion. You do this by testing for functionality, i.e. by examining and looking for clues as to what works and what doesn’t work.

It would be a mistake to rip the circuit apart in frustration and starting over.

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
With any circuit, whether there are two connections or two hundred connections, everyone makes mistakes sometimes.

Your objective is learning how to diagnose a problem in a systematic fashion. You do this by testing for functionality, i.e. by examining and looking for clues as to what works and what doesn’t work.

It would be a mistake to rip the circuit apart in frustration and starting over.
yes, thank you sir

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
hi g,
Well, all the information I can find states that the module has an internal pull resistor.

Does the onboard LED light when you move an object in front of the emitter/detector.?
Also, have you adjusted the sensitivity pot.?

E

BTW: if you did power up the unit as shown in the earlier photos' you may have damaged the module.?

I suggest you post an up-to-date photo of the project which shows how it is interconnected.:)
View attachment 254444
what to do with the pull up resistor? and I did not adjust the sensitivity pot because I'm really not sure what to do :<

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I just followed this guy's circuit on yt
I'd be embarrassed if I published one of my breadboards looking like that. I'm not a big fan of ultra-neat breadboards, but that one is messy even by my standards.

I use a lead forming jig for resistors on breadboards (or for PCBs).
1638931253182.png

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
what to do with the pull up resistor? and I did not adjust the sensitivity pot because I'm really not sure what to do :<
hi gelzky,
I cannot understand why posters keep suggesting pull up resistors, the IR module has an inbuilt pull, ref the schematic I posted.

Post a photo of your latest layout and we can through it.

Don't let others comments about how you build your projects bother you too much, just ensure that the connections are prevented from shorting to each other.

E
Added photo shot etc.
Look at the video shot, no external pull up resistor
EG 1091.pngEG 1092.png

Last edited:

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
hi gelzky,
I cannot understand why posters keep suggesting pull up resistors, the IR module has an inbuilt pull, ref the schematic I posted.

Post a photo of your latest layout and we can through it.

Don't let others comments about how you build your projects bother you too much, just ensure that the connections are prevented from shorting to each other.

E
Added photo shot etc.
Look at the video shot, no external pull up resistor
View attachment 254526View attachment 254529
yes, I just followed that circuit I saw on yt. Here's my circuit now. the segment display works fine but the sensor maybe damaged idk:<263702654_580764543156477_5755869946217602978_n.jpg263832270_890909218457121_1505886765717571714_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Morning gelzky,
That's good.

Let's test the sensor module, use the onboard LED to check its working.

Using a small screwdriver slowly turn that potentiometer on the sensor at the same slowly move your hand in front of the sensor. You should see the LED go On and Off

Lets know how it goes
E

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Cleaned up the images you posted #56.

I don't see any resistors for the 7 segment to 4026!!!!!!!!!!!
You will damage those components.

E

Update: if you connect this wire as shown, pin #3, it could damage that IC's output, also remove that Blue LED.
EG 1094.png

Last edited: