[SOLVED] Counter IC does not count

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
For a quick test of the 7486, which you may have damaged, remove the 7486 and use a link wire like this image.
The 4026 Reset pin must have a resistor

E

Attachments

Last edited:

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
So does the display count as the sensor LED goes On and Off as you you move your hand in front of the sensor.?

E
Please give more information in your replies, I don't like to keep guuessing,,,:rolleyes:

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
hi,
So does the display count as the sensor LED goes On and Off as you you move your hand in front of the sensor.?

E
Please give more information in your replies, I don't like to keep guuessing,,,:rolleyes:
sorry my bad:3, no it does not count maybe I did something wrong but I just copied the circuit of the yt guy :<. I'm planning to repurchased the components:<

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Before you buy new, Try that test using a push button/resistor on the 4026 clock input, disconnect the wire from the sensor to pin #1 clock first,
E

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
hi,
Before you buy new, Try that test using a push button/resistor on the 4026 clock input, disconnect the wire from the sensor to pin #1 clock first,
E
yes, I did that already, but it does nothing. Also, the segment display randomly displays and started blinking:<<<<<

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
Morning gelzky,
I suspect the signal coming from the sensor to the counter maybe electrically noisy or its 'edges' may not be well-defined, so you are getting multiple clock signals which would cause random counting.

Do you have any Schmitt input gates on your work bench.
Example. CD4093, CD40106.??

E
Edit: also try adjusting the sensor pot..

https://howtomechatronics.com/how-it-works/electrical-engineering/schmitt-trigger/
Hello, thanks for replying. I do not have Schmitt input gates but I have a NAND gate. I also tried adjusting the pot but it's just the same :<

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi,
A regular NAND Gate will not help,

Do you have access to an oscilloscope.?

Also, on the +5V and 0V lines you should have decoupling capacitors, say 47uF and 100nF [see photo]
Any value from 10uF to 100uF will be OK,

E263739022_273808664722383_5110613941956744332_n.jpg

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
Hi,
A regular NAND Gate will not help,

Do you have access to an oscilloscope.?

Also, on the +5V and 0V lines you should have decoupling capacitors, say 47uF and 100nF [see photo]
Any value from 10uF to 100uF will be OK,

EView attachment 254625
No, I do not have oscilloscope:< as I've mentioned I just followed the yt guy's circuit including the components he used. And I'm just planning to add a buzzer for alarm when it reaches 10, but yeah the counter does not work:<. Do you think that adding the capacitors will fixed the circ? sorry I'm not sure because I'm still trying to learn:<

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi.
Do you think that adding the capacitors will fixed the circ?

It is usual to have decoupling capacitors on the voltage lines of a project.

As the 4026 switches the 7 segment LED, it draws current in pulses, which cause voltage 'spikes' on the supply lines and so causes interference in the other parts of the circuit. This electrical 'noise' can cause the project to malfunction.

Get the capacitors fitted to the project as I have shown and retry, let's know the result.

Also, I would suggest getting a CD4093.

E.
No need to be Sorry, we all have problems while learning..;)

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
hi.
Do you think that adding the capacitors will fixed the circ?

It is usual to have decoupling capacitors on the voltage lines of a project.

As the 4026 switches the 7 segment LED, it draws current in pulses, which cause voltage 'spikes' on the supply lines and so causes interference in the other parts of the circuit. This electrical 'noise' can cause the project to malfunction.

Get the capacitors fitted to the project as I have shown and retry, let's know the result.

Also, I would suggest getting a CD4093.

E.
No need to be Sorry, we all have problems while learning..;)
Thank you so much for this information:>> I'll get the components first then I'll get back to you:>>> :))