[SOLVED] Counter IC does not count

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
hi g,
That's great, at least you know the 4026/LED is now working.:)

Try this, connect the sensor to the input pin #1 of the 4026, measure with a voltmeter the voltage on pin #1 while you move your hand about in front of the sensor, what voltage do you measure.?

E
I don't know if I'm doing it right i got 2,173?

Attachments

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
A high voltage of 2.173 volts is too low to clock the 4026.

Does always stay at 2.17V , never changing.?

Modify the circuit as I have shown in that diagram. post #20
E

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
hi,
A high voltage of 2.173 volts is too low to clock the 4026.

Does always stay at 2.17V , never changing.?

Modify the circuit as I have shown in that diagram. post #20
E
okay thanks, it does change sometimes but the max is 2.89V. what is the resistor value 4k7?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
okay thanks, it does change sometimes but the max is 2.89V. what is the resistor value 4k7?
It's a PULL-UP resistor (see post #5). It's value doesn't matter very much (anything from 1k to 100k will probably work), but without it the output cannot produce a logic high.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your resistors are a mess. You are in danger of creating a short circuit and blowing out the LED. Place the seven resistors all in a neat row and use jumper wires between each resistor and the driver IC and the resistor and the LED.

I know that that requires an additional 14 jumpers but that is better than blowing your LED.

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
It's a PULL-UP resistor (see post #5). It's value doesn't matter very much (anything from 1k to 100k will probably work), but without it the output cannot produce a logic high.
yes thank you I notice that it still does not produce high output. I'll try to do what you're suggesting I'm just a bit confused on what exactly to do :3

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Hi g,
Just follow what I said about the modification.

E
Once we have it working, I will explain.;)

When fault-finding in a circuit, if possible, ensure that the output stage is working correctly.
You can then use the output stage to help fault-finding the problem that is in the earlier stages of the circuit.

Last edited:

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
Hi g,
Just follow what I said about the modification.

E
Once we have it working, I will explain.;)

When fault-finding in a circuit, if possible, ensure that the output stage is working correctly.
You can then use the output stage to help fault-finding the problem that is in the earlier stages of the circuit.
I already connected a resistor I only connected 1k ohm but still it does not produce high output:<

Attachments

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
Your resistors are a mess. You are in danger of creating a short circuit and blowing out the LED. Place the seven resistors all in a neat row and use jumper wires between each resistor and the driver IC and the resistor and the LED.

I know that that requires an additional 14 jumpers but that is better than blowing your LED.
yes sir, noted. I'm still trying to figure out this circuit. thanks for your suggestion:>

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Post the sensor description type/number, I will get the datasheet.
E

Note: don't mess with the untidy LED wiring at the moment.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi g,
Well, all the information I can find states that the module has an internal pull resistor.

Does the onboard LED light when you move an object in front of the emitter/detector.?
Also, have you adjusted the sensitivity pot.?

E

BTW: if you did power up the unit as shown in the earlier photos' you may have damaged the module.?

I suggest you post an up-to-date photo of the project which shows how it is interconnected.:)
EG 1089.png

gelzky

Joined Dec 7, 2021
hi g,
Well, all the information I can find states that the module has an internal pull resistor.

Does the onboard LED light when you move an object in front of the emitter/detector.?
Also, have you adjusted the sensitivity pot.?

E

BTW: if you did power up the unit as shown in the earlier photos' you may have damaged the module.?

I suggest you post an up-to-date photo of the project which shows how it is interconnected.:)
View attachment 254444
thanksomuch for this. Yes the led onboard lights up. but I'm confused on what will I do. and I think my 7 segment display is broken :<<< it just gone crazy;<

Attachments