solenoid

majorkuso

Joined Aug 21, 2009
I am looking to move a bar about a half inch, the plan is to use a 12v or 24v solenoid, but I can't seem to find one that has about 10lbs of pull, would I be better off getting a geared motor? The project needs to be portable, I have a few ups batteries that I could use.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Let's sneak in by the back door with some math. You want to move 10 pounds 1/24th of a foot. That's 0.41666 ft-lbs.
Google a conversion and it says: 0.57 watt seconds.
If you want to move the bar in 1/10th of a second, you will need 5.7 watts for a tenth of a second.
What's the current for 5.7 watts at 12 volts?
5.7/12 =0.475 amps.
That seems like a way to specify a solenoid. Something that uses about an amp at 12 volts should do the job. But I've never actually done this, so wait for some more answers.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If using a motor, you could look at precision threaded rod to extend the motor shaft to make a simple pusher.
You should get the required torque.
Not really need a linear actuator for that distance.
A little more info on the application.
Max

majorkuso

Joined Aug 21, 2009
we have a trap door that needs to open to let birds out and the latch needs to be pulled back with roughly 10lbs of force, will measure the pull later with scale.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I am looking to move a bar about a half inch, the plan is to use a 12v or 24v solenoid, but I can't seem to find one that has about 10lbs of pull, would I be better off getting a geared motor? The project needs to be portable, I have a few ups batteries that I could use.
Respectfully, your OP omits two pieces of information vital to our ability to properly advise you:

To wit:
1) How rapidly must the load me moved/accelerated?
2) Must the device merely shift the load or is maintenance of position a further requirement? - if so, for what duration?

Best regards
HP:)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
DC solenoids are weakest when extended, compared to the retracted force.
The one thing with a motorized system is a method of turning it off is needed when at either end of the stroke, but it maintains position and generally resists back-feeding once extended.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One other source to check out is a automotive wiper motor/mechanism, that could be modified for the required stroke.
Automotive wreckers are a source.
Max.

Another thread tonight about a 2 drawer filing cabinet has a similar problem, and someone has suggested an automotive door lock actuator which is a small geared motor driving a toothed bar. They're readily available on ebay & because they are geared they have alot of pull, or push, & push & pull forces are the same, and stay the same for the whole length of travel. There's usually no limit switch, power is applied for a few seconds which means the motor is stalled for a short time

majorkuso

Joined Aug 21, 2009
Solenoids are cheap and simple, but are horribly inefficient and suffer from highly non-linear force vs. stroke characteristics.

I love watching students beat themselves to a humiliated pulp trying to get a solenoid to perform in seemingly "easy" applications - beware.

A motor driven actuator is going to be far more satisfactory here.

https://www.parts-express.com/high-power-door-lock-actuator-2-wire--330-010
That may do , but I do not see wattage requirements and load capacity