Solenoid (SEEP) Circuit Controll

DJMR

Joined Jan 8, 2018
Hello all,

Thank you for checking out my first ever post.

I need some assistance and clarification if the attached circuit would work for my purpose.

The Circuit will control the movement of a Solenoid device named a Seep by the manufacturer, this is the device http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/pm1.pdf (and attached) which as you can see it has two coils which throw the bar from left or right.

I wish to use Arduino to control the circuit, allowing me to multiply and control 16 of these outputs (to 16 Seeps), I am likely to use the two Capacitors to supply the extra “oomph” to all 16, as it would be unlikely that no more than 4 would be actuated at any one time.

The theory is a DPDT Relay will be controlled via Arduino, it will charge a Capacitor which will then be used to “fire” the Solenoid according how the DPDT Relay is switched which will give it an extra "oomph".

The Relay is a 5v 1a Coil and then the Switch is rated 30v 10a (unfortunately I have put the wrong voltage on the diagram).

I have done some research and I have a funny suspicion that I may require further components but I would greatly appreciate any support or advice regarding my circuit!

Thank you all

Des

Engineering (1).png

untitled.png

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
You are correct. An Arduino I/O pin will not drive a relay 5 volt 1 Amp relay coil. You will need to use a darlington transistor (Or two normal transistors connected to make a darlington pair.) A single logic level power mosfet (Such as an FDS8896) will also do the job. In either case you will need a diode in parallel with the relay coil to suppress the back EMF.

Les.

DJMR

Joined Jan 8, 2018
Thank you for your reply Les.

Noted about the diodes, I have seen them in some solenoid circuits, I have 1N4001 which should be adequate.

I have some Darlington Transistors, so will give that a try between the Arduino and Relay Coil.

Cheers

Des

DJMR

Joined Jan 8, 2018
I probably should have asked this in the first post...

The Power Supply is a 14 volt DC with up to 27 amps as this will supply power to many devices/components, my question is which is the best way to reduce the current to the Capacitors? For example down to 1-2 amps? I think without some sort of protection or resistance the capacitors could blow.

Cheers

Des

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
To limit the charge current, you could add a R in the +14 V supply line, maybe 10 ohms @ 1 W , 40 W peak for maybe 10 msec.