Soldering station recommendations

mlsirkis

Joined Aug 11, 2010
It’s time to replace my 45 year old Weller soldering station. Any suggestions? I do both through hole and surface mount. I’m looking for a quality tool, not a cheap one.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I am very happy with my Hakko FX-951 and a good selection of tips. The very fine ones are brilliant for SMD and the widest chisel type can really get some heat into big floods.

It seems to be an excellent value.

Alternatively, check out Hakko compatible KSGER stations which are cheaper and quite good. There are a lot of versions, so be sure to find the one that doesn't use a screw-on collar which reduces the utility of Hakko tips which can be quick changed.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Soldering requirements have gotten complicated over the years.

Tin/lead solder requires 700°F.
Lead free solder requires 800°F

For through hole I use a 0.031" tip. For SMD I use 0.015" tip.
Plan for flexibility. Make sure you can set the temperature and change the tip. Or get two soldering irons.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I am very happy with my Hakko FX-951 and a good selection of tips. The very fine ones are brilliant for SMD and the widest chisel type can really get some heat into big floods.

It seems to be an excellent value.

Alternatively, check out Hakko compatible KSGER stations which are cheaper and quite good. There are a lot of versions, so be sure to find the one that doesn't use a screw-on collar which reduces the utility of Hakko tips which can be quick changed.
Is this KSGER you mentioned?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gr...002.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.588d6238mEgTXC

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Look into a station that comes equipped with a hot air gun. That is a must have option for surface mount. I use mine (a "ripoff") very often.

All very good recs...I'll add the Pace ADS200 is also a very nice unit. Heats up very quickly and a great selection of tips.
Also, Pace after sales support is top notch.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
After 25 years I dropped my Weller power supply and it died. I ended up getting a Hakko, I wasn’t sure about them at first they look a little like a toy, bright blue and yellow but it’s been excellent with about 5 years on it now.

I recently got a 858D hot air station for about $30 listening to suggestions from this forum... works great. Warms up fast and very nice. There are some decent and inexpensive hot air / soldering stations on Amazon if you search.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
All very good recs...I'll add the Pace ADS200 is also a very nice unit. Heats up very quickly and a great selection of tips.
Also, Pace after sales support is top notch.
Pace is excellent, but pricey. If you are not going to be using it constantly you probably won't be able to get your money's worth.

Hakko is a step down in price, so I personally like that cost-benefit for someone willing to invest, it is still not cheap.

The KSGER and similar things are offering new, CHEAP, high value options.

Pace, Metcal, JBC, and the like are really brilliant kit but the price puts them out of reach for most.

Last edited:

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
I have read that ANY soldering station below 100 USD is imminently garbage thus I bought Scotle for 99,99. Its half garbage, but anyway serves a many years already and well. However, if to take in consideration that exists a two soldering schools then exists a two soldering hammer principles. One is using lead wire and no flux at all, where hammer tip is never wetted and may not be touched with any abrasive. Other is using a better or not so good hammered copper what must become well wetted and work with plenty of flux, where the lead is taken and forwarded by hammer tip. First hammers cost over 100 USD if good, other cost 3 USD if good, however sometimes even at 1.5 USD it had been seen. The quality of joint and particularly accuracy without of discussion is better if done by second method, the speed of mounting is many times better and, as see, the overall pricing too is better. Only the bad thing, after soldering the pcb must be washed in solvent of choice.
The hot air section is the play only. For serious jobs the risk to eveheat IC is hardly too high. And with thin-end normal hammer the all joints will be done far more accurate even for 500-feet IC except those having joints in the middle beyound the body (as CPU)

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
I have read that ANY soldering station below 100 USD is imminently garbage.....

The hot air section is the play only. For serious jobs the risk to eveheat IC is hardly too high. And with thin-end normal hammer the all joints will be done far more accurate even for 500-feet IC except those having joints in the middle beyound the body (as CPU)
I think the tips are the biggest problem with most cheap irons. If you just replace the tips with quality ones you will see a major improvement. The $50 898D works great with a good tip. The biggest problem with the cheap tools in my experience has been longevity.

Hot air is for play? I'd have to disagree there. Hot air is essential in re-work.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The switch from tips that slide over heaters to integrated heater technology was an important one. Today, buying a new iron, you should really be looking at integrated heaters. They heat faster, hold the temperature better, and can produce more heat per watt at the tip.