Soldering Issue - Solder Clumping on New Iron Tip

rboater

Joined Jan 12, 2017
I am working on building "Build Your Own Clone" guitar effects pedals, and am having some difficulties soldering. Everything seems to work fine for about a half hour. I try to keep the soldering tip tinned and turn off the iron if I won't use it for more than 5 minutes. After soldering 5 or 10 components over a half hour or so, my soldering iron tip becomes unusable. It has clumps of solder on it. I cannot remove the old solder with a sponge, and new solder will not melt on the tip. Attached is a picture. What is going on here? My iron is a ZD-99, and it is temperature adjustable. I am using 60/40 leaded solder with flux.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Sounds like the tip isn't hot enough. What temperature do you have it set for?

Do you have a damp sponge or wire mesh pad to wipe off excess solder?

ClassOfZero

Joined Dec 28, 2016
I've worked in a workshop environment and the first person in would turn the irons at the start of the day and 10 hours later they'd been turned off, even at home I've always kept the iron on until I've finished and never had problems.

rboater

Joined Jan 12, 2017
Welcome to AAC!

Sounds like the tip isn't hot enough. What temperature do you have it set for?

Do you have a damp sponge or wire mesh pad to wipe off excess solder?
I set the tip for about 350 deg C. I have a damp sponge for cleaning.

rboater

Joined Jan 12, 2017
I should mention that I also got a new iron and tip thinking that it was a defective iron. The same thing started happening with the new iron.

ClassOfZero

Joined Dec 28, 2016
How well is the collar tightening the tip, seems to be some reports that this is an issue.

Also the plating on the tip has been reported as sub par, to reports that the plating comes off after a while.

Last edited: