Soldering header pins

nikoloz tandilashvili

Joined Feb 18, 2023
Hi, i just finished my first soldering, i tried to solder header pins at lcd screen 2x16. And it looks so bad , i pluged it to arduino and screen did not turn on, i think i damaged some part of it but i dont think so and i m not good at arduino as well and i did not pluged it correctly so here's the pic of my solder job and can you tell me if i damaged something or not

Attachments

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your solder did not flow properly around the pin and the pad for the following reasons:

1) You are using the wrong type of solder and/or there is no solder flux.
2) Your soldering iron is not set to the correct temperature.
3) You are not touching the soldering iron tip and pad long enough.
4) You are using the wrong technique.

Show us your soldering equipment and the type of solder.

It would be a good idea to practice on some scrap electronics board first.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
There are pins shorted together, mainly the RS pin, run your iron along the pins with some solder braid and flux to remove the excess solder.

nikoloz tandilashvili

Joined Feb 18, 2023
There are pins shorted together, mainly the RS pin, run your iron along the pins with some solder braid and flux to remove the excess solder.
I m using soldering iron which costed 5$, it's cheap and i tried to use desdering thing and it did not work here is pics of it. Ig: nikoloz tandilashvili, with yoda pfp
PXL_20230220_182308962.jpg, if u can help me please meassage me on ig or Facebook

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
That isn't the best soldering iron, but with a little practice, it will do the job.

Did you read the instructions I posted? EVERYTHING you need to know is there. It's available in many different languages if that helps.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Your soldering tip is a mess! It needs to be re-tinned and then kept clean !

While soldering after each connection (or every few if soldering a lot), you need to wipe the tip on a damp sponge to remove excess solder and burnt flux. Then apply a bit of solder and wipe again.

The tip should be shiny and look like a good joint.

There are containers of tinning compound that clean and re-tins at the same time. They do add expense, but their ease of use may compensate for that.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I'd blame the solder first. Cheap stuff from China tends to be "lead free" because it's cheaper, but it doesn't make nice joints. Try to get some that's "name brand" like Kester, or a house brand from a trustworthy electronics or industrial supplier.

nikoloz tandilashvili

Joined Feb 18, 2023
Hi, it's me again i posted this thread few days ago after that i solder rfid module that worked and was not bad soldering job, now i tried to fix soldering on this lcd screen. And i finished i have not tried to plug it yet can u guys see my soldering job and rate how it is for a 3rd try and will it work.PXL_20230221_151023272.jpg

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Much better! D6 & D7 are excellent. D5 could be too, unless there is a short between it and D4.

It looks like you’re not sufficiently placing the iron tip on both the pad and header. The pads have areas with no solder. The solder should flow completely around the pad and form a “tent” with the component lead.

nikoloz tandilashvili

Joined Feb 18, 2023
Much better! D6 & D7 are excellent. D5 could be too, unless there is a short between it and D4.

It looks like you’re not sufficiently placing the iron tip on both the pad and header. The pads have areas with no solder. The solder should flow completely around the pad and form a “tent” with the component lead.
my cheap solder tip is not melting solder it's so cheap and I cant clean it I tried stainless steel sponge and it cleaned a bit of it but it's not, and when I m touching solder on it solder just burns so fast and dissepears, i don't know why it's hard to learn from youtube. i need someone who gives me tips. can anyone tell me will it work or no if I remove that thing between d4 and d5

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If the solder melts quickly when it touches the tip then it must mean that the iron is hot enough.

Look at this diagram again.
Step (1) is important. Do not add solder to the tip.
Now look at Step (2). Add solder to the joint, not to the tip.
This is the most common mistake newcomers make when soldering for the first time.

1676998258090.png

Attachments

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I cant clean it I tried stainless steel sponge and it cleaned a bit of it but it's not
You should use a stainless steel sponge. Just a wet, regular sponge. Soldering tips are coated with nickel. Without that coating, a soldering tip will get dirty fast from burnt flux. Plus, the flux will eat away at the tip.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I found brass wool scrubbers at a supermarket; check with a magnet, because most places just have copper-plated stainless. If your soldering iron is running too hot, you could wire up a light dimmer switch or an incandescent light bulb in series to reduce the power.