Solar Power does not Pay Off, An Excellent Indicator

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, and that looks like an interstate in the picture. But I don't recall seeing it, but then it has been a while since I took I75 down through Ohio. So what city is it in? Because eventually I will drive through.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, and that looks like an interstate in the picture. But I don't recall seeing it, but then it has been a while since I took I75 down through Ohio. So what city is it in? Because eventually I will drive through.
The Interstate you see is I-90 running through East Cleveland so the plant sits just off I-90 and you can't miss that thing for miles. Right around where I-90 east and west and Ohio Route 2 merge running east and west. Lincoln Electric is in about the center of this map. Go North and you fall into the lake. :) Hell, like the old saying says, you can't miss it! :)

Ron

I have wondered about the cost effectiveness of those big photo-electric farms
You can do something interesting with inverter technology that you can't do with a conventional generator. The large solar farm can do "local" power factor correction. In learned this in a lecture I attended - A joint IEEE/ISA presentation.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The average human hearing frequency range is very limited with age, if you have had an hearing test, the chart results are usually quite revealing!
Max.
Definitely true, BUT I can hear almost everything if it is loud enough. Also, the others with me at the wind turbine site had perfect hearing as they were younger. Also, note that the big turbine just described does not make noise. But it is clear that some folks can hear a flea sneeze while they are at a football game.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Back in the winter of 2010 I made an attempt at field recording the sounds of a wind turbine at close range. It was a windy day, so the turbine was working hard. There's a very distinct swoosh sound each time a blade passes by. From a distance it becomes more of a static, consistent noise, but up close the swooshes and thumps are quite distinct. Many people in the area claim to be able to hear, or even feel, the low frequency components from a significant distance. I'm not sure if I believe that or not, but there's no doubt that they do make some noise. Here's a sample with two short snippets, one from a few hundred feet away, and the other from very near the base of the tower.

https://soundcloud.com/beowulf-recording/wind-farm-snips-vp88-hp

The tower was part of a farm in Pigeon, MI:
N43 49.849 W83 13.585
https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d43.8308167!4d-83.2264167

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Back in the winter of 2010 I made an attempt at field recording the sounds of a wind turbine at close range. It was a windy day, so the turbine was working hard. There's a very distinct swoosh sound each time a blade passes by. From a distance it becomes more of a static, consistent noise, but up close the swooshes and thumps are quite distinct. Many people in the area claim to be able to hear, or even feel, the low frequency components from a significant distance. I'm not sure if I believe that or not, but there's no doubt that they do make some noise. Here's a sample with two short snippets, one from a few hundred feet away, and the other from very near the base of the tower.

https://soundcloud.com/beowulf-recording/wind-farm-snips-vp88-hp

The tower was part of a farm in Pigeon, MI:
N43 49.849 W83 13.585
https://www.google.com/maps/place/43°49'50.9"N+83°13'35.1"W/@43.8292984,-83.2276287,566m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d43.8308167!4d-83.2264167
How close was the "close range?"

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
How close was the "close range?"
If you follow the Google maps link (or search the map coordinates in your preferred map system,) that shows exactly where I was for the first 15 second snippet in the recording. Maybe 1000ft from the tower?

upload_2019-2-14_7-58-46.png

For the second half of the sample sound, I was practically straight under it, certainly less than 100ft from the base of the tower.