solar panel

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You will have to provide us with a lot more information than that.

How much power do you wish to generate?
How much area do you have available on your roof?
What is your geographical location?
How much sun do you receive at your location?
What is the pitch angle on your roof?
What direction is your roof top facing?

The price of solar panels varies from about US$1 to US$5 per watt.
Hence an 10kW installation for just the panels alone would cost US$10,000 to US$50,000.

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
A good rule of thumb is for a solar panel, one watt is one dollar. But there is other equipment that will bring the cost up. What exactly do you need?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Panels these days are the cheapest they have ever been.
The ripoffs are in the installation if you hire an 'expert'; 'specialized' hardware takes a chunk too.
Controllers, inverters and batteries are still reasonable priced.
There is a company in Miami selling at very good prices, until you find their ripoff in freight.

Last edited:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
FWIW, in the U.S. the total installed cost for residential solar is about $3/watt.

Some data for the U.S.:
https://news.energysage.com/how-much-does-the-average-solar-panel-installation-cost-in-the-u-s/
Hmmm. At $3/W and with energy (around here) being about $0.12/kWh, that means that the system has a payback period of about 25,000 hours of operation. I don't know what a reasonable effective time per day is, but I suspect it isn't much above five hours (at least around here). So even ignoring lost days that's 5,000 days or pushing 14 years.

I've seen claims that the payback period is 6 to 8 years, so my 14 year estimate isn't completely out of whack. Our utility rates are usually a bit below the national average.

Another way of looking at it is that, if the 5 hr/day figure is reasonable, then each W of panel produces something like 0.15 kWh/month, or 1.8 kWh/yr. For us, that's a return of about 22 cents a year on a $3 investment, or 7.2%. Not a bad return, but not great either. Weighing against it is that the $3 is largely a sunk cost. If I invest $3 in the market and it returns 7.2%, then after some amount of time I not only have whatever the returns are, but I still have the principle. With a solar panel I don't have the $3 but, rather, a heavily used solar panel that may or may not have much value, especially in comparison to state of the art panels at that time.

Still, I think that it is probably in the realm that non-economic factors, such as knowing that you have (more or less) stable power available can be allowed to swing the decision.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Hmmm. At $3/W and with energy (around here) being about $0.12/kWh, that means that the system has a payback period of about 25,000 hours of operation. I don't know what a reasonable effective time per day is, but I suspect it isn't much above five hours (at least around here). So even ignoring lost days that's 5,000 days or pushing 14 years.

I've seen claims that the payback period is 6 to 8 years, so my 14 year estimate isn't completely out of whack. Our utility rates are usually a bit below the national average.

Another way of looking at it is that, if the 5 hr/day figure is reasonable, then each W of panel produces something like 0.15 kWh/month, or 1.8 kWh/yr. For us, that's a return of about 22 cents a year on a $3 investment, or 7.2%. Not a bad return, but not great either. Weighing against it is that the $3 is largely a sunk cost. If I invest $3 in the market and it returns 7.2%, then after some amount of time I not only have whatever the returns are, but I still have the principle. With a solar panel I don't have the $3 but, rather, a heavily used solar panel that may or may not have much value, especially in comparison to state of the art panels at that time.

Still, I think that it is probably in the realm that non-economic factors, such as knowing that you have (more or less) stable power available can be allowed to swing the decision.
I think it’s all about niches for now. Solar can make great sense if you’re far off grid (perhaps on an island), get lots of sun, get government incentives and so on. None of that applies to me and I have cheap electricity to boot, maybe about $0.05 per kWh on average. My payback time exceeds the likely service life. I suppose that’s true for many and in fact Tesla appears to be bailing out of residential solar and turning focus to larger installations.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
The way I see it more convenient, is dual systems.
Separating high rate consumption electrical panel on utility, from low consumption electrical panel on solar for outlets and lighting.
Installing yourself shaves over 50% of the initial cost, which if separated, is a much smaller investment. If you are into deep comfort with extensive airconditioning, or electric heating, better pay utility for those.

Ebay may help sensing current trendy prices.

Am waiting to convince myself some day to buy/make an electric solar roofed pontoon boat. Plugging it to the house when parked by my yard. I get the toy and its power is put to use at full capability.

Remember that with grid-tie systems you don;t have electricity when the mains power is down. Off grid is a different animal. Your country makes a big difference. There is a micro-inverter technology which is an inverter per panel basically. This has strengths and weaknesses.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
There is mandatory relays that disconnect from the power pole to not electrocute utility workers fixing an outage, and keep solar energy in the dwelling.

There is mandatory relays that disconnect from the power pole to not electrocute utility workers fixing an outage, and keep solar energy in the dwelling.
it's not that easy. it;s easy to have one or the other with failsafe interlocks. By failsafe, they are mechanically interlocked so both cannot be on at the same time. You can use a breaker and back feed a power panel as long as the main break and the backfed breaker are mechanically interlocked.

When the phase of the voltage is the same as the incoming voltage, dropping one out is not an easy detectable event.

You parallel DC supplies basically by making one supply controls the voltage and delivers current and the other delivers half the current with a slightly higher voltage limit. But, that's with two identical supplies.

I need to imagine how an AC system might work. I think, in essence, the solar system has to try to deliver a slight ly higher voltage than what's being measured until the solar system can't do that or it exceeds the specifications of the line voltage. if it can deliver the max designed voltage, then it has to drop out. If it delivers more than it's capacity, it has to drop out.

Solar grid-tie inverters can compensate for reactive loads and that adds even more complication, A solar array plant can locally power factor correct the grid. e.g. generating current with little or no voltage.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
The mains protection is for any generation on customer premises; here is one vendor for the relays and some explanation
----> https://www.ipu.co.uk/products/comap-g59-mains-protection-relays/

A neighbor has such with his 'Generac' emergency/backup/standby/auxiliar generator. Shuts off the power utility connection from reaching the dwelling when the aux. generator supplies power to the house during an outage. After a selectable time of energy restored, shuts off the generator and restores connection to the utility.
I believe that relay set is called 'transfer switch', I wired it and is working fine. :eek:

It is the red part on the image, driven by the two black solenoids at its left, looks like :

Sort of an automated

testedfrozen

Joined Jul 8, 2018
Well I checked out the types of solar cells available and also found out some programs in my state which can provide discounts. It will be very helpful if you can mention about precautions to take and other mistakes usually made.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
The precaution that you must realize is that solar power is like farming. It is weather dependent.

Few installations, produce the advertised power on a regular basis.

If solar power was as good as it is hyped up to be.........you would have seen much more of it.

Many who invest in it.......are disappointed.

It's not like adding a spare room and forgetting it. It's like planting a crop.......it needs to be tended and maintained.

Remember young Luke Skywalker on his uncles farm?.........he was sick and tied of maintaining solar collectors.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
12c per Kw, haven't seen that for years here in Australia, try around 30c perKw. I have a 1.5Kw solar system which cost $1800 Aus. It made a huge diference to my power bill.