Solar panel, Charge controller, Battery

Shah_Key

Joined Jan 8, 2013
Hi all

I have the following 3 items i would like to connected to each other.
Solar panel:
Raloss SR100-48
http://uk.farnell.com/raloss/sr100-48/solar-panel-100w-21-6v/dp/1462498

Charge controller:
Sunsei Charge Controller CC-10000
http://uk.farnell.com/icp-global-technologies/cc-10000/charge-controller-10a-sunsei/dp/1702992

Rechargeable battery:
Camdenboss BEG120120
http://uk.farnell.com/camdenboss/beg120120/battery-europa-gel-12v-12ah/dp/5085330

I would like to ask if it would work properly at maximum capacity (i.e. maximum power generated from the solar panel.

Thank you in advance

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
It would depend on what you want to use the power on. How long is the power to be on and what is the current drain ?

Shah_Key

Joined Jan 8, 2013
It would depend on what you want to use the power on. How long is the power to be on and what is the current drain ?
The solar panel will charge the battery
so the configuration would be:

Solar panel ==> charge controller ==> Battery

I want to know if it is safe to use the equipment together like that when the solar panel is at maximum capacity.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
I don't see why not. The charge controller expects a varying input (in voltage and current, depending on where the power comes from, solar, wind, etc) and monitors (hopefully) the battery charge so the battery does not get over charged.

Shah_Key

Joined Jan 8, 2013
I don't see why not. The charge controller expects a varying input (in voltage and current, depending on where the power comes from, solar, wind, etc) and monitors (hopefully) the battery charge so the battery does not get over charged.
Hmm, the thing is the battery has a maximum charge current of 2.4A so i am not sure. does this have much of an effect?

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
I didn't realize that the output of the solar panel was over 5 amps. Did you send a message to the company asking about having a charging current greater than the battery specification?

Shah_Key

Joined Jan 8, 2013
I didn't realize that the output of the solar panel was over 5 amps. Did you send a message to the company asking about having a charging current greater than the battery specification?

These items were purchased separately.
But the specification of the charge controller states that it should work fine with the 12V battery

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
The information will say it works with a 12 V battery, but in your case, the solar panel can supply more current than the battery can accept. A car battery can accept over 10 amps of charging current. Your battery is smaller, and if that much current is forced through the battery, it will overheat, discharge hydrogen and an explosion may be possible. The safest thing is to buy a larger battery that can handle up to 6 amps of charging current. Granted, it might be more than you want, but it will last longer on sunless days.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Agreed, the battery is the weak link in the chain. The charging components will actually charge this battery at too high a rate.

The good news is using a bigger battery (assuming the same load) will lead to a longer lifetime for the battery.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Wild thoughts:
SC I= 5A, best power @ 17 V, so internal resistance about 3.4 Ω; so add about 3.5 Ω on panel output to limit I to about 2.4 A?? ' cannot use bigger battery because it fits my mower.