Solar heating controller troubleshooting

Rsanderhoff

Joined Mar 4, 2018
Hi all.

I have a solar heater in my house that stopped working. When I turn it on, one or both relays are buzzing and the controller is not starting up. The controller had this malfunction a few times before. Back then it would start up if I just left it buzzing 5-10 minutes. But Now it has been buzzing all day without starting up.

I found this video of the excact same controller showing how it used to do earlier. (jump to 5:20 to see the actual startup)

My question is now if anyone has any idea of what is causing this? I think its due to a faulty component on the circuit board below. Please see attached pics.
If someone can tell me which components that is causing this, I will try to replace them.

BTW -the controller works by starting and stopping two water pumps based on inputs from 3pcs PT100 sensors.
I'm a bit in a hurry, because the system will start boiling on the next sunny day.
SMT300_PCB_front.png SMT300_PCB_back.png
BR Rasmus

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm a bit in a hurry, because the system will start boiling on the next sunny day.
I'd order a new board if you can and buy yourself time to repair this one. My bet is that one or more of the power supply capacitors have gone bad. You could just replace them all. It's faster, cheaper and easier than trying to figure out which one might be bad, and capacitors 'age' anyway. Replacing all of them is like insurance against future failure. I'm talking about those 4? big electrolytic caps. While you're at it, replace that little round, black rectifier next to the caps and fuse. It's also cheap and rectifiers are a common failure point.

Rsanderhoff

Joined Mar 4, 2018
Hi wayneh.

Thanks for your reply. I already looked for a replacement controller and I can get a similar, but that requires new sensors. Lets just say the sensors are not easy accessible in my system so my first option is to get i running by replacing components on the circuit board. As a quick fix I have added a timer directly on the pump. This will make it run constantly during the day.

Thanks for your suggestion with the capacitors. I have ordered these and also a new bridge rectifier. Ill give you an update when I have replaced them.

Rsanderhoff

Joined Mar 4, 2018
YAY!!!

The three capacitors did the trick. Now its running like a charm and I can just wait for the sun.

Thanks alot wayneh!

BR Rasmus