solar heater power supply

kurt p

Joined Dec 27, 2014
Hi all. I have built myself a solar powered heater for my shop. I want to hook up two fans using two power supplies but only have one thermostat to control them. They are 12 volt low amperage fans from computer towers. The power supplies are like the ones from house phones, chargers etc.. Can I hook both negatives from each power supply to the thermostat to control the fans or will that cause an issue? Thanks for any help.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Is the thermostat like the ones used in residential heating/cooling? If so, some of those only switch AC; not designed to switch a DC circuit.

kurt p

Joined Dec 27, 2014
Is the thermostat like the ones used in residential heating/cooling? If so, some of those only switch AC; not designed to switch a DC circuit.
It is the old mercury type. I have already had it running the one fan but the heater just needs a little more air flow. I just turned the mercury tube around so it closes the circuit on temperature rise.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Best add a capacitor across the mercury bulb. Maybe a 0.1 uf to 1.0 uf film cap. That will help suppress the arc.

kurt p

Joined Dec 27, 2014
Voltage is almost irrelevant. It's the inductance that makes sparks, inductance times current squared. energy = 1/2 LI squared. I can and have jacked a tenth of an amp up to 100+ volts with my home made inductor tester and I have installed hundreds of mercury bulb thermostats. That's my day job.
What kind of damage can result?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Mostly it will make a scum in the mercury and that scum will short the contacts so the thermostat never opens.