Solar charge controller with switched psu

frankr2994

Joined Apr 30, 2020
Ok this goes inline with another thread I started about a forklift charger but I would have more than 1 application for this. I've been looking at multi volt solar charge controllers. Really because the circuitry is already done and the market on charge controllers seem to only go with solar. From what I've read using a switched psu is not recommended due to the controller trying to pull more than what the psu can supply. What I'm proposing is using a 60 amp mppt controller with 5 common slot server power supplies. Floating the ground on the power supplies to have them wired in series to provide 62 amps at 60v. The psu I'm looking at is a Hp 750 watt 12v. Can be purchased for roughly 17 dollars per. The mppt controller would only ever use 60 amps at maybe 50v output. This should prevent any over current for the supply. I also should be able to have all the psus wired into a single 230v single phase circuit and be well under any amperage limitations of the 40amp breaker installed in our service. I'm only investigating this for the price and the power of having an automatic "smart" charger for various batteries sizes. I'd also be curious to see with some of these controllers being PC programmable if I would be able to set a constant voltage output to power a 12v car for diagnostics and programming. Any issues, tips or ultimately a reason not to do this?

frankr2994

Joined Apr 30, 2020
I'd like to pursue knowledge on this. I may or may not get something figured out with my other thread on using my current 36v charger. I'd also have more than 1 use for this. If anyone has input on using a switched power supply capable of providing enough wattage to something like a mppt controller I'd like to hear it. I've found multiple pages explaining on floating the ground from these power supplies to get 24vdc for powering lipo chargers. I have not come across anyone wanting to float the ground across 5 supplies but I don't see how that wouldn't work. They are capable of being power by 230v single phase.