Sola 'power supply'

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
I picked up a ferroresonant power supply capable of putting out 120V at 16.5 amps. These are sometimes called 'Line stabilizers'.

But other than using it on my PC or an appliance I can't think of anything it's useful for.

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
I think you'd have to remove the capacitors then.

I was looking at the schematic of one and wonder if you can actually use the winding the capacitor is on for an output if the capacitor is removed.

BTW this thing has a lot of capacitors for the resonant winding.. I'll need to crack it open to count them. The transformer itself is about a 1 foot cube. It all weights around 100 pounds. That's 50 British pounds.
*snicker*

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I think you'd have to remove the capacitors then.

I was looking at the schematic of one and wonder if you can actually use the winding the capacitor is on for an output if the capacitor is removed.

BTW this thing has a lot of capacitors for the resonant winding.. I'll need to crack it open to count them. The transformer itself is about a 1 foot cube. It all weights around 100 pounds. That's 50 British pounds.
*snicker*
I think if you remove the capacitors, you would have a problem. The capacitor is there to "regulate" the voltage in the other secondary. The capacitor is calculated according to line frequency and the secondary impedance. Just use the other two secondaries of the respective power supplies tied together.
See this: http://www.mcitransformer.com/i_notes.html

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
My experience is that these are designed to regulate the average output voltage, with the rated load, under slowly varying line voltages. Regulation is not as good when lightly loaded. Also the outputs can "ring like a bell" when there are high current inductive loads being switched on-and-off on the same circuit that the primary is plugged into.

Ken