Software to develop electrical wiring diagrams (Training)

maitrey

Joined Sep 4, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I am a young professional who has just started working in automation Industry as an electrical engineer and looking for a light scale software to develop electrical wiring diagrams for automation projects. My circuits mainly consists of PLC, HMI, IOs, E-Stop, Switches, Sensors and valves etc.,

Can you guys recommend a CAD tool to develop these diagrams? For now, I use AutoCAD and EPLAN to develop NEC/IEC/NFPA approved drawings as it already has built-in symbols for parts but since I have never worked on any CAD tools before it's just overwhelming for me and looking for light scale software to start with.

To be honest, I like Eplan as it already has built-in suppliers/parts for almost all components I use in my circuit. The only problem is that I am not trained enough to utilise all of those features (Hope to get better at it by using it of course).

Please feel free to suggest any alternate options/training/software that you guys use. This will help me like anything :)

Thank you,

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
If you want full on schematics then I personally like Altium Designer, though the price is high. I've never used Fritzing (opensource), but I've seen some nice looking pictures come out of it.

maitrey

Joined Sep 4, 2014
I have Altium Designer but looking for CAD tool alternatives as my diagrams are single/multiline with automation components. I think altium designer is more like schematic/pcb design tool.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am a young professional who has just started working in automation Industry as an electrical engineer and looking for a light scale software to develop electrical wiring diagrams for automation projects. My circuits mainly consists of PLC, HMI, IOs, E-Stop, Switches, Sensors and valves etc.,

For now, I use AutoCAD and EPLAN to develop NEC/IEC/NFPA approved drawings as it already has built-in symbols for parts but since I have never worked on any CAD tools before it's just overwhelming for me and looking for light scale software to start with.
If you already have Autocad and intend to pursue this type of work (Automation etc) then I would look at setting up a template dwg. with a suitable grid and Snap setting for producing ladder electrical diagrams together with symbol library.
Acad has a bit of a learning curve, but it is a powerful Dwg package, and worth it in the end,IMO.

Also Obtain a copy of NFPA79, if not already have, there is also a PDF version out on the WEB.
Max.

maitrey

Joined Sep 4, 2014
If you already have Autocad and intend to pursue this type of work (Automation etc) then I would look at setting up a template dwg. with a suitable grid and Snap setting for producing ladder electrical diagrams together with symbol library.
Acad has a bit of a learning curve, but it is a powerful Dwg package, and worth it in the end,IMO.

Also Obtain a copy of NFPA79, if not already have, there is also a PDF version out on the WEB.
Max.
Thank you Max for a valuable information. Yes, my goal is to create customize template and settings for Acad. Since the flow of the design is not going change that much I can use this template in future.

Now when you say Acad, do you mean AutoCAD only or AutoCAD electrical? (I've been thinking about setting this up in ACAD Electrical).

Is this book you're referring to for NFPA 79? Not sure if there is any free version available online..

https://catalog.nfpa.org/NFPA-79-Electrical-Standard-for-Industrial-Machinery-P1205.aspx?icid=D729

Greatly appreciate your feedback,

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Look for "NFPA79 in PDF" a few sources come up, it is a little outdated version but most is the same.
By Acad I mean AutoCad I have a full older version 2006.
You can set up the LH side bar with different libraries/Palettes of objects.
Also set up some default values, e.g. I always use coords = 2 etc.
Max.

maitrey

Joined Sep 4, 2014
Max,

I just got the 2007 NFPA pdf from web. I will work on setting up template and some other settings now...

Thank you :)