Software Engineer creating first PCB for wall mounted led patterns

blubagoo

Joined Jan 3, 2022
As the title suggest this is a first draft of a custom PCB by yours truly. So as you may notice, I'm not an electrical engineer just a hobbyist. I used EasyEDA for this project, and to the best of my knowledge selected the right parts from LCSC component library. I would love if someone could take a look and let me know if this project looks ok? It has been prototyped and is a for sure working circuit( as long as the parts are the same as what I am using ). I am using an external 5V 5a power supply but eventually want to add a second to the input here so i need the trace width to support 10A and im not sure that its currently set up for that. The 10a is for only the power supply lines, the data line is only coming from an arduino.

This is going to be sent to JLCPCB for their smt service, so all the parts have been checked to include a SMT flag from EasyEDA. I also was wondering if anyone has used their 3d printing for building an enclosure for it. I included mounting holes on the pcb so the enclosure could mount the board and the enclosure would also need holes for the shrouded external connections.

P.S. Please forgive me for incorrect terminology, not-so best practices, and all that is holy to you ( that im treading all over ) awesome engineers. Thanks in advance!

pcbDraft1.PNGschematicDraft1.PNG

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Only a couple comments: There seems to be a lot of empty space on the board. Beware of heat from the resistors damaging the board.

blubagoo

Joined Jan 3, 2022
Only a couple comments: There seems to be a lot of empty space on the board. Beware of heat from the resistors damaging the board.
So should I space them out a bit more so it doesn't get so hot? To clarify too, the resistors will not be running 10a through it, as its only for the data transmission line from an Arduino. I don't know the exact amperage but I know its pretty small.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Does the board have to be those dimensions? You have a lot of unused space...

You can make it a single sided board if you route the blue wires under the resistors.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
As the title suggest this is a first draft of a custom PCB by yours truly. So as you may notice, I'm not an electrical engineer just a hobbyist. I used EasyEDA for this project, and to the best of my knowledge selected the right parts from LCSC component library. I would love if someone could take a look and let me know if this project looks ok? It has been prototyped and is a for sure working circuit( as long as the parts are the same as what I am using ). I am using an external 5V 5a power supply but eventually want to add a second to the input here so i need the trace width to support 10A and im not sure that its currently set up for that. The 10a is for only the power supply lines, the data line is only coming from an arduino.

This is going to be sent to JLCPCB for their smt service, so all the parts have been checked to include a SMT flag from EasyEDA. I also was wondering if anyone has used their 3d printing for building an enclosure for it. I included mounting holes on the pcb so the enclosure could mount the board and the enclosure would also need holes for the shrouded external connections.

P.S. Please forgive me for incorrect terminology, not-so best practices, and all that is holy to you ( that im treading all over ) awesome engineers. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 256861View attachment 256862
I'm wondering why plain old veroboard is not ideally suited to this?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Probably the best path is (since you have already made one) it to determine whether the resistor gets very hot (above 150 degrees C is a good reference point) or not. If it does, then maybe you should be better off to use larger resistors or raise the resistors off the board.

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
not sure what LEDs are those and what the rated current is. all design need to consider some numbers such as voltage, current, power etc.

in this case supply is 5V and resistors are couple of hundreds of ohms so currents will be very low. larger currents need proportionally wider traces. your traces are particularly thin for something that is basically power distribution panel. larger traces and annular rings have some advantages, easier to solder, less loses, better cooling, better mechanical stability so touching connectors does not make copper peel of... your screw terminals are rated for few amps. your header connectors are only good for max 1A at best and LED current will be even smaller. Filtering capacitors is pretty large too. if we want to design for 1A, (lets call that 1.25A just in case), temperature rise of 10degC and assuming standard Cu thickness of 0.035mm (1oz of Cu per square ft) and traces that are on the outsides of the board you should use at least 0.41mm wide trace. if this is inner trace of the board, it should be more than 1mm wide. Solder pads for screw terminal blocks can be bigger too.
1641506810713.png

but even that would make traces work as fuse (will blow up) if you try running10A, you will need significantly wider traces and terminals/connectors that can handle such current.
1641507001313.png

solution for that is to use either thicker Cu layer (instead of 1 Oz, use 2,3 or even 4 Oz). the thicker the copper layer the narrower trace can be. but this will still likely not be good enough or will cost more.

one solution is to use more layers in parallel. you would need to stitch them by vias so they are well interconnected. for example many PCB manufacturers will have same pricing for 2, 4 and 6 layer boards so why not take advantage of the free layers.

1641507701420.png

Last edited by a moderator:

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
also note that ALL of components you have chosen are THT (through hole type) and not SMD (surface mount device).
and if you are planning to use board assembly service of JLC, all parts need to be SMD. and since you are making design for power distribution, why not include onboard LED indicator that 5V is present?
1641510294375.png

this is similar to what your board is aiming to be - all parts are THT
1641511081972.png

Last edited by a moderator: