Social Security & Death of a spouse.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Will the Dead spousal benefits extend to the surviving spouse afterward or is it only for children of the surviving spouse to use in the event of premature loss of their parent?

kv

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It depends on the age of the spouse and children at the time of death. If the spouse isn't old enough, benefit would be reduced if they collected early. But if they're caring for your minor children, they can collect without regard to age.

One thing I didn't know was that young children are entitled to benefits when their parent starts collecting. This is something I don't agree with, but that's the way it is.

I also don't agree with one or more ex-spouses collecting on a former spouse's earnings record.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
https://money.cnn.com/retirement/guide/retirementliving_socialsecurity.moneymag/index2.htm

Yes; you will be covered under the Social Security Survivor's Insurance program. And this being Social Security, there are the usual array of odd rules that determine how big a benefit you will receive.

If you have already reached full retirement age (somewhere between 65 and 67 based on your date of birth; if you aren't sure, check your latest Social Security annual statement), you're entitled to 100% of your deceased spouse's benefit.

If you're at least 60 but not yet at Social Security's definition of "full retirement age," your payout will be somewhere in the range of 71% to 99% of your deceased spouse's full benefit. Note that a widow or widower of any age with a child under age 16 is entitled to a 75% payout.
I don’t like leaving money on the table, if I can use it to better myself or family.

kv

Edit: Thank you all for your responses, this “Thread” is available for others to talk Social Security or Medicare Benefits.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
It depends on the age of the spouse and children at the time of death. If the spouse isn't old enough, benefit would be reduced if they collected early. But if they're caring for your minor children, they can collect without regard to age.

One thing I didn't know was that young children are entitled to benefits when their parent starts collecting. This is something I don't agree with, but that's the way it is.

I also don't agree with one or more ex-spouses collecting on a former spouse's earnings record.
Whether you agree or not, your objections should be directed towards politicians rather than someone collecting the amount legally due to all citizens and their families. Also, you may want to direct your objections to some of the tax avoidance loopholes that save high-income real estate investors and corporations hundreds of millions to billions of dollars before you worry about what @killivolt and his family are currently entitled to collect by current social security rules.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Called Admin Social Security. If you remarry before you turn 60 the benefits are lost. Such is the case, the only benefits would be my current wife.

kv

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Whether you agree or not, your objections should be directed towards politicians rather than someone collecting the amount legally due to all citizens and their families. Also, you may want to direct your objections to some of the tax avoidance loopholes that save high-income real estate investors and corporations hundreds of millions to billions of dollars before you worry about what @killivolt and his family are currently entitled to collect by current social security rules.
let's keep this on topic if we can, when my brother died and I got his kids the Social Security kicked in and helped pay their expenses while they were growing up.