Snubber component's wattage and voltage

Dariodario

Joined Apr 6, 2019
Hi, a question that I read answered in a lot of forums, but each post says a different thing.

I have to control an universal motor in AC (230V, 50Hz) coming from a not so old washing machine.
At the spin velocity (7000 RPM) it adsorbs P=400W, I=3.0 A, at the washing velocity (500-1000 RPM) it adsorbs P=180W, I=4.0 A as for datasheet.
Note that the RPM values are "before" the pulley ratio.

I'm using a snuberless triac BTB12 BW in a circuit very similar to the follow. I have chosen R=100 ohm and C=100 nF, as I read for this kind of load. I omitted at the first stage the snubber thinking at the "snuberless" triac, but the motor had some velocity spike. For the moment I solved introducing the snubber. My next check will be use a less sensitive optocoupler as the FOD420, trying to avoid the (big) snubber.

What I would understand is the correct minimum wattage of the resistor and the voltage of the capacitor.
At the moment I'm using an R 2W and it works well but I would need to be sure that is a safe value with all the temperatures and condition. As capacitor I'm using a polypropylene type of 400 Volt.

Thanks a lot.

1578689550593.png

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Calculating the exact power dissipation of the resistor is mathematically complex.

A pragmatist asks "does the resistor get really hot?" If the answer is yes, replace it with a higher rated one.

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Hi if you say you have it all up and running then, you could put a scope across the snubber and have a look at the signal that is actually being snubbed. You should then be able to integrate under the trance and get a reaonable figure for the actual power being dissipated... and then.. over engineer it!!

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Hi if you say you have it all up and running then, you could put a scope across the snubber and have a look at the signal that is actually being snubbed. You should then be able to integrate under the trance and get a reaonable figure for the actual power being dissipated... and then.. over engineer it!!

Yes but use extreme caution with this! MAINS VOLTAGE - Use an isolation transformer!

Dariodario

Joined Apr 6, 2019
I'm thinking to buy a Rigol 1054Z or a Siglent SDS1102X (just understand if I need 2 or 4 channels), but at the moment unfortunately I don't have an oscilloscope...