sms-based flood monitoring system

ryanrivera

Joined Jan 26, 2006
hi everyone! im ryan rivera from philippines.. i need technical help for my thesis..we've got an approved topic which is sms-based flood monitoring system. the idea is, everytime the flood sensor <water level float switches> detects a flood, it will send a txt message to a cellphone. the use of a microcontroller is needed in this project. we don't how to get it started....can you help me pls....can you suggest a circuit and a microcontroller type?...please....thanks...here's my contact details...+639279738035....emai: ryanrivera14714@yahoo.com

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Well, closing a switch when the float rises is somewhat elementary, as is detecting the switch closure with any microcontroller. If there is any challenge at all, it is in interfacing with the cell phone to dial out and send the message (I assume text, not voice).

You might be clever and arrange for a backup battery and having the flood detector send a help message if AC power is lost, or if the battery charge gets too low.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Might also want to use multiple float switches for different levels of flood - the person receiving the text messages could then prioritize their response based on which areas were flooding faster or slower.