Smart phone batteries voltage

mwz

Joined Jan 19, 2017
Hi all,

i have no knowledge in electrical engineering but i have a few questions that i would like to ask some experts.

I am a design student who is very interested to know does the smart phone batteries have the power to give off
an electrical charge like a defibrillator?

Meaning would it be possible to actually create a portable smart phone defib using the power of a smart phone batteries?

Thanks

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC.
A phone battery could be used to drive a switched-mode DC-DC boost converter to generate the high voltage used in a defibrillator.
Such a voltage can KILL, however, so this is not something an inexperienced person should be tinkering with.

mwz

Joined Jan 19, 2017
Hi alec,

most definitely i will not be the one experimenting on the idea, will get a profession to test it out if needed be dont worry about it haha im not that brave.

Anyways so all smartphone batteries will be able to deliver the shock? Will a mobile phone app be able to convert the batteries into a DCDC mode?

thanks man hope to hear from you :) appreciate it alot.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Welcome to AAC.
A phone battery could be used to drive a switched-mode DC-DC boost converter to generate the high voltage used in a defibrillator.
Such a voltage can KILL, however, so this is not something an inexperienced person should be tinkering with.
... and probably isn't allowed to be covered on this forum?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Anyways so all smartphone batteries will be able to deliver the shock? Will a mobile phone app be able to convert the batteries into a DCDC mode?
You hope somebody knows every possible battery that has been or will be used in a "smart" phone? Not likely.
No, an "app" is not a transformer, neither is it a transistor. You can't just program a defibrillator into existence. If you could, I would program myself a new car.:D