Small Project Advice

Deadpan

Joined Oct 24, 2020
Hi all,
I’m after some advice on what I think/hope is a relatively small project in making a soppy/romantic present for my Girlfriend.
So will save the overall details to avoid mocking/pointing and laughing, but as much as I am capable enough I don’t have the experience on the numerous so would really appreciate some pointers to avoid going down the wrong path before I properly begin.

Essentially I would like to run some led lighting (8 individual led lights) and audio in a box slightly smaller than a shoe box taking up as little space as possible;

Play sound and sequence of led lights when turned on -> then loop on a default sound and led sequence -> 2 buttons on box, press either one would play another audio file (30 seconds long or more) and different led sequence before returning to the default audio and lighting -> play sound and led sequence when turned off

So hopefully not too complicated but any advice on best components to use/potential pit falls and explained to a borderline moron really would be appreciated.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What you are asking for IS a bit complicated. It could be done with a small processor board but it would need a fair amount of circuit and so it would be semi complicated.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Women may seem impressed with our accomplishments, but they're generally not endearing. I concur; buy her flowers. Or get her a puppy dog.

For one thing you don't tell us what sequence you'd like the LED's to flash in, or if you want the flash pattern to change, or speed up or slow down. To sequence lights from an audio signal you would have to filter out the high frequencies and just use the base notes to step the lights. THEN you have to set a threshold for the base to be above in order to step the lights.

Now, changing the pattern WILL require a microprocessor.

There is still yet another option, but it too is complex. Involves sweeping a set of LED's and pulsing them to an audio signal. You still have to discriminate which signals you want to pass through, hence, a notch filter. This will require an amplifier and microphone as well. It's a nice sentiment but it's not a project I'd want to task then gift. Maybe for my grandchildren; but for my wife or daughter ? ? ? It would be praised and I'd get hugs and kisses, but then it would be put away unless the grandkids wanted to play with it. Then it becomes a toy.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
It’s not at all difficult IF you are well versed in microcontrollers and programming. Otherwise, fuhgiddit!

Bob

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Really, nothing was mentioned about setting the LEDs to music. There were different lightig sequences and different sound sequences, but not setting it to music. That is so very 1960's. But it does get complex and it will require some design skills and it will also take program writing skills.

But flowers, while nice, do not last.
Buy your girl friend something gold.
Wit A diamond or other fancy stone makes it better.
Those gifts last a long time.

We might think it's a useful project if we had more details.

They say a the grader can program a PICAXE and for the most part, it could do the job. Arduino is another platform.

You didn't mention power and for how long.

Some sort of MP3 player module needs to be found. I have no idea, if this would work: https://www.banggood.com/VS1053-VS1...d-Slot-Ogg-Real-time-Recording-p-1609634.html Manuals are so hard to find.

There should be modules out there somewhere that can record a clip and play just that recording on demand,

"Somewhere" on the net there was instructions of how to build sound effects for a trash can. You opened the lid and a sound played as though the object dropped like 100 feet or something. Your project is more complex than that,

Sequencing LEDs is no big deal.

The hard part is finding am MP3 module that's controllable easily.

Another possibility is to use a Rasberry PI computer and the Python language. See https://pythonbasics.org/python-play-sound/

The PI is not real time, so the LED sequence could hiccup.

The project isn't simple.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It needs to be kept in mind that "small size" was a major requirement. A recorded audio sequence or a generated tone sequence are quite different levels of complexity, and a level of allowable distortion will matter as well.
Speech or sound is a question, also.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Did anyone notice the TS's handle?

This thread seems most likely a deadpan joke. If not?

Deadpan, dry humour, or dry-wit humour is the deliberate display of emotional neutrality or no emotion, commonly as a form of comedic delivery to contrast with the ridiculousness or absurdity of the subject matter. Wikipedia

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Play sound and sequence of led lights when turned on -> then loop on a default sound and led sequence -> 2 buttons on box, press either one would play another audio file (30 seconds long or more) and different led sequence before returning to the default audio and lighting -> play sound and led sequence when turned off
Really, nothing was mentioned about setting the LEDs to music.
This is why we read the whole thread.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I had imagined what would be in the box and what the sequence might be, but that could be way off. And a small shoe-box is really not that very large. I had anticipated that the electronics would be in a quite shallow compartment at the bottom, with access from the bottom side, with the top being a bit similar to a small "treasure box" sort of thing. I have seen those with music boxes inside. No clue what the TS had in mind, but still, for most but all, gold jewelry wins.