Single Switch for on/off 3 components

Les73gtx

Joined Mar 20, 2016
First off I am not an electrical genius but I can read basic schematics and follow directions and know my limits. I am fully aware of safety issues and concerns.

I need to be able to make this illustration work for me .... there has to be something simple that I just don't know.

TV button.png

Right now it acts like the power button is being held down, or always on. They all power up and then power off again a few seconds later. So I am getting cross talk between the 3 components I believe. I was thinking a simple diode in line but then I don't think that they would turn on.

I am hooked into the actual physical switch for the components and they all work as they should when I use 3 separate switches but not when trying to use one switch. Only One switch can to be used for ease of operation and convenience. I am not looking for any different solutions other than this as this fits my project as it stands now.

I spent about 4 hours searching this forum and a couple more on Google looking for what I need. I am not able to either search properly or maybe what I need if more complex than I think.

Do I need to build a board that when it the button is pushed and released it will send a the same kind of signal to the individual components? What do I need for parts?

I am not looking for this to be done for me but maybe point me in the direction I need to research. I like to learn and hands on for me is the best way.

Thank you for your time.

TheButtonThief

Joined Feb 26, 2011
What exactly are you hoping to achieve? From what I can gather, you want to switch on 3 devices by throwing the same switch? To do this, you want to switch a common supply to all 3 devices? A diagram of your current arrangement would help us.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Give us more information about this, do you want to switch on all devices at once, or each one individually?

Use a rocker/ toggle switch instead.

Last edited:

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
First off I am not an electrical genius but I can read basic schematics and follow directions and know my limits. I am fully aware of safety issues and concerns.

I need to be able to make this illustration work for me .... there has to be something simple that I just don't know.

View attachment 102788

Right now it acts like the power button is being held down, or always on. They all power up and then power off again a few seconds later. So I am getting cross talk between the 3 components I believe. I was thinking a simple diode in line but then I don't think that they would turn on.

I am hooked into the actual physical switch for the components and they all work as they should when I use 3 separate switches but not when trying to use one switch. Only One switch can to be used for ease of operation and convenience. I am not looking for any different solutions other than this as this fits my project as it stands now.

I spent about 4 hours searching this forum and a couple more on Google looking for what I need. I am not able to either search properly or maybe what I need if more complex than I think.

Do I need to build a board that when it the button is pushed and released it will send a the same kind of signal to the individual components? What do I need for parts?

I am not looking for this to be done for me but maybe point me in the direction I need to research. I like to learn and hands on for me is the best way.

Thank you for your time.
How does what you want differ from just plugging them into a power strip?

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Modern TVs don't turn on when attached to power, switched or otherwise. They sit in standby mode waiting for a button push on the chassis or remote.

Are you trying to switch power or video/audio signals?

Les73gtx

Joined Mar 20, 2016
Sorry for the slow reply ... the TV's I have do not remember last state after power loss so they will not come back to full on when power is applied, like say from a smart power strip, only comes back to a standby state waiting for a signal from a remote or button push.
Correct, all I need to do is turn on the TV'S and computer from a standby state to power on .... one momentary switch is what is being used .... just like you would be pushing the button on each unit, But I need to do it remotely as the devices are not within reach to push a physical button. A remote for the TV's is also not practical or user friendly. Here is my project ....Atomic Pincab Build Log (202).jpg .
Virtual Pinball Cabinet, I had 3 separate push button switches in the back of the cabinet but now I have moved the machine around and I am not able to reach the buttons. I installed a momentary on button on the bottom of the cabinet in the same location as a normal pinball machine and I only have room for, and for easy of use for others that would walk up to it and play, one button to push.
The third (smallest) screen is a actual de-cased laptop screen and it powers from the PC Power supply so there is no need for it to be on a switch.
The Dropbox link to my build if anyone is interested .... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qyyzgwew645n89p/AAC9st3psPwWiLBwHYkKOhc8a?dl=0

Les73gtx

Joined Mar 20, 2016
Sorry, Yes I need all devices to turn on at the same time with one button push. Like I stated in the first post, if I connect all 3 of the device leads to a single button each device will power on but then also power off as if the button is being held down. I believe that all the devices are wired correctly as it is only 2 wires on each device, one ground and the other should be a small voltage. When you connect the circuit (with the momentary button) the power either comes on or turns off. So the only thing I can figure is that I have different voltages that are "confusing" the devices and making them thing that there is a button being pushed. Sorry if this is confusing but it sounds good in my head .... lol Probably why I can not figure it out.
So I was thinking that I need individual device isolation but still have the ability to turn on all three from a single switch at the same time.

Again thanks for your time and responses

Les73gtx

Joined Mar 20, 2016
Again, a diagram/schematic of your current arrangement would help a lot. I suspect that you're not using a double poll switch as you should be.
Thank you TheButtonThief ... I could draw up a Diagram/schematic of what I have working now but it would not look much different than what I have posted above. Really all this is in my head for the most part. But putting it down here and looking at it has helped and actually I think you have given me the answer.
I did not know they made a triple or quad throw switch and I think that will work. So thank you for the help. After a google search I came up with this ...
Screenshot_2016-03-22-08-38-52.png
that should allow me to accomplish what I need, to make all three devices turn on when I push the button. So looking at the switch pictured, it seems that each row or column is for one device with a common / NO / NC tabs .... simple and cheap.
I am going with this part unless anyone can tell me why this will not work.
Thank you again for your time and patience and sorry I could not make the explanation simpler. Great help from all thank you.

TheButtonThief

Joined Feb 26, 2011
Correct method for switching multiple curcuits.jpg
So looking at the switch pictured, it seems that each row or column is for one device with a common / NO / NC tabs .... simple and cheap.
Seems like a suitable switch, with the only problem that I can this of is that it may be rather hard to depress with your fingers as is the type of thing found in a guitar pedal and my guitar pedals are very firm to push even with a foot and a fair bit of body weight. Hope my quick diagram helps you. The one above shows how I think you've currently got it wired and the one below shows the correct may to wire it up.

Les73gtx

Joined Mar 20, 2016
Thank you, yes it seems to be a foot switch .... did not think about resistance in physical movement. I will keep looking for a suitable 3 pole switch.

Thank you for the diagram and you are correct on how I had it wired

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Separate relays, a small power supply and a short one-shot timer (100-500ms) triggered by a momentary switch of your choice would work.

Les73gtx

Joined Mar 20, 2016
Separate relays, a small power supply and a short one-shot timer (100-500ms) triggered by a momentary switch of your choice would work.
I had thought of that but was hoping for a little more simple of a solution .... I already use some relay boards to power other items from a controller that reads data from the emulator via the usb. So I guess I could build something like you suggest but I am running out of real estate inside the cab .... and it also seems a bit over kill for this very low power task.

Thank you for your suggestion, it gives me another avenue to look down.