Single pushbutton circuit with 3 functions

pajota1003

Joined Mar 15, 2020
Hi guys, I’m just wondering if you could help me design a circuit using a push button with 3 outputs: on/off for quick pressed and Reset for long pressed. Thank you

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
Is this 3 short button pushes turn on each of 3 outputs, then 3 more short
pushes cycles thru again turning them off ?

One long push all off ?

Regards, Dana.

pajota1003

Joined Mar 15, 2020
Hey Dana, im gonna use a single push button which is initially set as low (off),First pressed is on and another press turns it off but also i wanted to add another state which is a reset using a long pressed.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
So short press all 3 outputs turn on ? Another short press they turn off.

A long press all that are on are turned off ?

Regards, Dana.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
This sounds like homework of some type. Is it? If so, I can move it to the proper forum where it will get the right kind of assistance.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Went down this road many years ago for an intercom circuit.

Since the start of a long press looks could look like a short press, there are two options:

1. Action on the leading edge: The act of pressing the button toggles the output every time. Then, if the button is held down long enough, the circuit resets. This leads to very short output conditions

2. Action on the trailing edge: Pressing the button does nothing; releasing the button causes action. If the button was held down below the reset-time-discriminator period, the output toggles. If the button was held down longer than the reset time discriminator, the circuit resets when the discriminator times out even if the button is still held down.

3. Combination: Pressing the button causes the output to toggle as in #1. But if the button is held down long enough, the circuit holds off resetting until after the button is released.

ak

pajota1003

Joined Mar 15, 2020
Went down this road many years ago for an intercom circuit.

Since the start of a long press looks could look like a short press, there are two options:

1. Action on the leading edge: The act of pressing the button toggles the output every time. Then, if the button is held down long enough, the circuit resets. This leads to very short output conditions

2. Action on the trailing edge: Pressing the button does nothing; releasing the button causes action. If the button was held down below the reset-time-discriminator period, the output toggles. If the button was held down longer than the reset time discriminator, the circuit resets when the discriminator times out even if the button is still held down.

3. Combination: Pressing the button causes the output to toggle as in #1. But if the button is held down long enough, the circuit holds off resetting until after the button is released.

ak
Exactly what i am aiming for. I am designing ABY pedal for a music instrument. Instead of having too many buttons to press, i can have one button.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Sure it can be done, once you define exactly how the button is supposed to function.

Assuming this is a pedal switch to be operated by the foot:

1) One press and release turns on a circuit.
2) The next press and release turns off a circuit.
3) If the circuit is OFF, one press held for longer than x seconds does what??? while pressed and what??? on release.
4) If the circuit is ON, one press held for longer than x seconds does what??? while pressed and what??? on release.

pajota1003

Joined Mar 15, 2020
Sure it can be done, once you define exactly how the button is supposed to function.

Assuming this is a pedal switch to be operated by the foot:

1) One press and release turns on a circuit.
2) The next press and release turns off a circuit.
3) If the circuit is OFF, one press held for longer than x seconds does what??? while pressed and what??? on release.
4) If the circuit is ON, one press held for longer than x seconds does what??? while pressed and what??? on release.
If it’s held for long, no matter what state it is, it resets or stay low..

iimagine

Joined Dec 20, 2010
I would use a jk flip-flop or a discrete latch circuit, then place a logic NAND at the switch to start timing when the switch is closed, reset the latch when times up
I think this will do what you want (from what you described):
It seems weird that you want on/off and reset with just one output, but hey...

Attachments

Last edited: