Single phase motor to a reversing contactor

carlisleworks

Joined Jun 9, 2015
I am trying to wire a single phase motor to a reversing contactor. the incoming power is 115VAC, my control circut is 24VAC. i understand the control part of it but what im trying to figure out is how to wire the motor to the contactor so as to reverse direction of the motor. the motor has 6 leads. a picture is attached. i do know that T5 and T8 need to swap to reverse direction, but im lost as to how to tie it into the contactor. please help guys

baldor super E.png

Capture2.JPG

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
You could try the below diagram:

(NOTE1: wire colors shown, are only shown for clarity. They do NOT reflect actual wire colors in the motor. Pay attention to terminal NUMBERS only)

(NOTE2: This wiring scheme leaves voltage on the motor windings always. This is not really kosher, but given your contactors have NC contacts, it's the only option I see for what you have on hand.)

reversing2.png

You really should get new contactors that have Normally Open (NO) aux contacts and wire it properly so that all lines are interrupted, like this:

reversing.png

P.S. the wiring diagram for your motor is found here:
https://www.baldorvip.com/servlet/productInfoPacket/VL1304.pdf

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I don't know how to tell you how to see something when it's already right there drawn out.
"look again," maybe?
"trace out each wire?"
</sarcasm>

Try this (in the first diagram; black is neutral (N) and line voltage (L) is blue :

Follow T5 (purple wire) upwards through the left contactor. - see it goes to N, which is connected to 1 & 3.
Follow T8 (orange wire) upwards through the left contactor. - see it goes to L, which goes back down through the contactor and is connected to 2 & 4.

so when the left contactor actuates, N connects to 1, 3, and 5 and L connects to 2, 4, and 8.

Follow T5 (purple wire) upwards through the right contactor. - see it goes to L, which goes back down through the contactor and is connected to 2 & 4.
Follow T8 (orange wire) upwards through the right contactor. - see it goes to N, which is connected to 1 & 3.

so when the right contactor actuates, N connects to 1, 3, and 8 and L connects to 2, 4, and 5.

Left: L = 2,4,8 N = 1,3,5
Right: L = 2,4,5 N = 1,3,8

See the switch now?

(NOTE1: wire colors shown, are only shown for clarity. They do NOT reflect actual wire colors in the motor. Pay attention to terminal NUMBERS only)

(NOTE2: This wiring scheme leaves voltage on the motor windings always. This is not really kosher, but given your contactors have NC contacts, it's the only option I see for what you have on hand.)

View attachment 86989

You really should get new contactors that have Normally Open (NO) aux contacts and wire it properly so that all lines are interrupted, like this:

View attachment 86988

This is very helpful. I don't see the NO contacts?

Thanks!

@strantor

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Although reverser contactors have a mechanical interlock, they generally each use a N/C contacts for electrical interlock, by 'locking' out the opposite side coil.
Max.

View attachment 86989

View attachment 86988

Can you see them now? The second relay (contactor) is the same as the first.
View attachment 169598
This thread is about 3 1/2 years old.

Ron
So best is a 4 pole contacter with an auxiliary NC contact on the overload for interlock?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
So best is a 4 pole contacter with an auxiliary NC contact on the overload for interlock?
Typically O/L's vary, some disconnect the 3ph power others also achieve this through using the N.C. contact in the coil supply, they occasionally also have a N.O.
In the case of the N.O., I generally use these as some kind of indicator/annunciator or flag, and even an input into a PLC, if this is how the contactor is controlled.
Incidentally the O/L you see in the schematics is considered used on the wrong side of the coil now.
Max.

Attachments

Typically O/L's vary, some disconnect the 3ph power others also achieve this through using the N.C. contact in the coil supply, they occasionally also have a N.O.
In the case of the N.O., I generally use these as some kind of indicator/annunciator or flag, and even an input into a PLC, if this is how the contactor is controlled.
Incidentally the O/L you see in the schematics is considered used on the wrong side of the coil now.
Max.
Thanks Max