Simulation of a regenerative power conditioning unit

Vedu2611

Joined Aug 3, 2017
Hi all,

I have been assigned a project titled "Simulation of a 300kVA regenerative power conditioning unit". My project guide isn't available due to some personal reasons and I don't have clarity on this project. I tried to search online, but all in vain.

The project revolves around the fact that while testing a lot of equipment; there is a lot of power that isn't utilized; and we have to design a system that effectively injects the unused power back into the grid.

Any thoughts about what is the power that has to be returned to the grid? I'm assuming that the circuit would be somewhat like this:

AC Mains -> converter -> inverter -> grid

I also have been provided with a reference paper around which I have to build my project, that I am attaching here.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
That paper describes returning the power to the grid for a high power electronic load rather than dissipating it in resistors. Such a electronic load is used to test power supplies, generators, etc.
So I would assume you need to design such a circuit that performs the functions in the block diagrams using real components to generate a 300kW electronic load and then simulate it.
Sounds like a fairly complex task.

Vedu2611

Joined Aug 3, 2017
[
That paper describes returning the power to the grid for a high power electronic load rather than dissipating it in resistors. Such a electronic load is used to test power supplies, generators, etc.
So I would assume you need to design such a circuit that performs the functions in the block diagrams using real components to generate a 300kW electronic load and then simulate it.
Sounds like a fairly complex task.

Well, I have a year and a half to do that, and I've just learned the basics of power electronics. How do I move forward? What concepts do I need to be accustomed with apart from the usual power electronics course taught to every undergraduate electrical engineer?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You likely will need to understand some digital logic design, and transistor design (both BJTs and MOSFETs).
Note that the paper has some simulations of the circuit, which should help you do yours.

Vedu2611

Joined Aug 3, 2017
You likely will need to understand some digital logic design, and transistor design (both BJTs and MOSFETs).
Note that the paper has some simulations of the circuit, which should help you do yours.
Also is it active power or reactive power or both that has to be recycled back to the grid?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Also is it active power or reactive power or both that has to be recycled back to the grid?
Real power.
The grid does not want (or like) reactive power, which creates extra mains current that does no work and adds power loss due to the resistance of the mains wires.

Vedu2611

Joined Aug 3, 2017
Real power.
The grid does not want (or like) reactive power, which creates extra mains current that does no work and adds power loss due to the resistance of the mains wires.
What do I study so that I have knowledge of these things like the ones you just said?