Simplest Sensors for Education & My Hearing Studies

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
My hearing aids have noise reduction and compression of loud sounds when they are set to Automatic mode. In Music mode those features are turned off.
That is a good point to make. Good hearing aids have multiple modes. They automatically switch modes for different situations, quite conversations, walking in the park, music, loud noisy bar.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
When a microphone can hear its speaker then feedback whistling or howling is produced.
A hearing aid with the microphone and speaker together in one piece causes the microphone to hear sounds and vibrations of the speaker then the gain must be reduced to avoid feedback.
My hearing aids have the microphones (front and back) on top of (behind) my ears and the speaker is in my ear canal with a vent hole (so the ear feels like it is not plugged up). Then the gain can be as high as my hearing loss needs the gain to be.

wahtsensor

Joined Sep 19, 2021
When a microphone can hear its speaker then feedback whistling or howling is produced.
A hearing aid with the microphone and speaker together in one piece causes the microphone to hear sounds and vibrations of the speaker then the gain must be reduced to avoid feedback.
My hearing aids have the microphones (front and back) on top of (behind) my ears and the speaker is in my ear canal with a vent hole (so the ear feels like it is not plugged up). Then the gain can be as high as my hearing loss needs the gain to be.
Have you used a hearing aid in your ear canal?

If so, could you give a few examples of when the feedback occurred.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I never tried a hearing aid entirely in my ear canal because the audiologist said it would not be loud enough for my hearing loss and would cause squealing feedback. Ads for them say they are made for people who do not want anybody to see that they have a hearing aid.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
As AG already mentioned, the mic and speaker are too close to each other and hence are likely to cause audio feedback.

With behind the ear devices, the mic is behind the ear while the speaker is in the ear. Hence the extra distance makes it less prone to have feedback.

The gain on my device is so great (80dB) there is feedback the moment the hearing aid is turned on. Then the device detects this feedback and automatically adjusts itself so that the feedback disappears.

wahtsensor

Joined Sep 19, 2021
Could someone spell out how to post pictures in this forum. How does "Insert Images" in the reply box work.

I have used 'copy image address' on another forum but here I don't see a way to paste the image address in.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Could someone spell out how to post pictures in this forum. How does "Insert Images" in the reply box work.

I have used 'copy image address' on another forum but here I don't see a way to paste the image address in.
Use "Attach files" at the bottom, or paste into the edit box.

1632482835767.png