Simple voltage divider

Lokeshsampath

Joined Jan 4, 2016
Hello,

I have a small doubt in Voltage divider network.

Below are the simple circuit, Of course the voltage will get divide equally at that voltage probe with respect to ground.
upload_2017-6-27_12-4-35.png

But I have got a doubt in the below circuit what will happen if i ground the middle point?
How the voltage is still getting divide equally ?

upload_2017-6-27_12-15-42.png

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How much current will flow in each resistor?

If the bottom of R1 is at 0 V (which is all that the ground means), what will the voltage be at the top of it?

If the top of R2 is at 0 V (which is all that the ground means), what will the voltage be at the bottom of of it?

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
A common point (GND) is an abstraction, a conditional zero. This point, relative to which the circuit voltage is determined. This point is put where it is convenient. In the first scheme, the voltage divider is immediately visible, unlike the second one. Although the voltage across the resistors does not change.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Hello,

I have a small doubt in Voltage divider network.

Below are the simple circuit, Of course the voltage will get divide equally at that voltage probe with respect to ground.
View attachment 129839

But I have got a doubt in the below circuit what will happen if i ground the middle point?
How the voltage is still getting divide equally ?

View attachment 129840
Ground is only referenced to one terminal of the battery, so if your battery terminals are not connected to ground, no voltage will be measured.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
second circuit IS NOT a divider
The second circuit is still a voltage divider.

Think in terms of nodes.
You agree that the first circuit is a voltage divider. Adding the GND reference does nothing to the circuit except change the absolute values at each node measured with respect to a reference node (GND). The relative voltages remain the same.

In the first circuit,
A1 = +12V
A2 = +6V
A3 = 0V

In the second circuit:
B1 = +6V
B2 = 0V
B3 = -6V

Simple Voltage Divider.jpg

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
second circuit IS NOT a divider
Sure it is. The only difference is what node is used as the reference.

No, you can't just throw the classic "voltage divider equation" at it because that equation only applies to a subset of voltage divider circuits that satisfy certain caveats. This is why it is important to understand the principles and not just be an equation monkey.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Ground is only referenced to one terminal of the battery, so if your battery terminals are not connected to ground, no voltage will be measured.
Hogwash! You can use any node you want as your ground reference and in both circuits there is a ground reference. That establishes that voltage on that node as being 0 V.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
A simple voltage divider is not that simple after all.

Allen
While I'm not aware of any definition anywhere, most people would probably consider a "simple" or "classical" voltage divider to be the first circuit the TS posted and anything else, including the second, to be a "general" voltage divider. In essence, any circuit that adheres to

Vout = Vin R1/(R1+R2)

would be a classic voltage divider.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Hogwash! You can use any node you want as your ground reference and in both circuits there is a ground reference. That establishes that voltage on that node as being 0 V.
Bollocks! you can only measure Voltages between battery terminals or power suppy terminals, if Non are connected to earth, then No Voltage will be measured between earth and the supply.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Bollocks! you can only measure Voltages between battery terminals or power suppy terminals, if Non are connected to earth, then No Voltage will be measured between earth and the supply.
Take a battery.

Connect two resistors in series to it as shown in the TS's first post.

Don't connect any thing to earth.

Take a voltmeter.

Connect the negative probe to the junction of the resistors.

Connect the positive probe to the positive terminal of the battery.

Does your meter read anything?

Your negative probe defines the reference node for that measurement.

You can measure voltage between ANY two points -- where does it say that you can ONLY measure voltages between battery or supply terminals. If the two points are floating relative to each other, then the voltmeter (unless it is sufficiently high impedance to be sensitive to EM noise effects) will make it so that they are no longer floating relative to each other by enforcing zero volts between those two points.