Simple Function Generator

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
can an integrator be connected to produce a sine wave?
An integrator is frequency dependent and so the amplitude of the sine will also be frequency dependent. I don't think you want this.

A function generator usually uses a shaping network that "scrunches" the triangle into a sine. A hint: a circuit that can do this is often referred as -- are you ready for this -- a function generator. :D

Mr_Edward

Joined Jul 17, 2014
An integrator is frequency dependent and so the amplitude of the sine will also be frequency dependent. I don't think you want this.

A function generator usually uses a shaping network that "scrunches" the triangle into a sine. A hint: a circuit that can do this is often referred as -- are you ready for this -- a function generator. :D
what do you mean? >_<

so i need a function generator in order to make a function generator? that seems counter productive isn't it?

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
so i need a function generator in order to make a function generator? that seems counter productive isn't it?
There are two things called function generators. One is the piece of test equipment and the other is a circuit. You are interested in both. I hope that helps.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
There are two things called function generators. One is the piece of test equipment and the other is a circuit.
OK. I can see where you might be confused. I tried a search on "function generator circuits" myself and all I found were circuits for test instruments.

A search on "diode breakpoint circuit" will work better.

Mr_Edward

Joined Jul 17, 2014
so our professor just approached us about our circuit.. apparently he doesn't want voltage shift in the gain amplifier..

is there any way to unify both signals and not shift the voltage values of the minimum and maximum points of the wave?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
so our professor just approached us about our circuit.. apparently he doesn't want voltage shift in the gain amplifier..

is there any way to unify both signals and not shift the voltage values of the minimum and maximum points of the wave?
How much shift do you have?

Mr_Edward

Joined Jul 17, 2014
one has higher gain(above triangular) from the amplifier while the other one has lower gain(lower triangular).. the other wave is the input.. (i dont know how to change colors in multisim)

they are the same circuit but i just varied the pot from the variable amplifier

Attachments

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
one has higher gain(above triangular) from the amplifier while the other one has lower gain(lower triangular).. the other wave is the input.. (i dont know how to change colors in multisim)

they are the same circuit but i just varied the pot from the variable amplifier
Input is triangular wave, output is triangular wave with greater amplitude due to the amplifier. Set amplifier to gain of 1, then your input and your output will have same amplitude.

To change colors in the graphs I set the color of the wire that goes from the circuit to the oscilloscope. In the old mulitsim I just right click on the wire that I want, a drop down menu opens up, in the menu I select Color, that opens a window with various colors you can select.

Mr_Edward

Joined Jul 17, 2014
Input is triangular wave, output is triangular wave with greater amplitude due to the amplifier. Set amplifier to gain of 1, then your input and your output will have same amplitude.

is there any way to still vary the amplitude without the signal going up or down?

thanks for the color tip btw. :)

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
is there any way to still vary the amplitude without the signal going up or down?

thanks for the color tip btw. :)
To vary the amplitude you do what you already did, you use the adjustable resistor (pot?) to control the gain. Set pot so that the gain is 1 and you have input and output that have the same amplitude.

The thing is that there are different pots. There are, I think, linear pots and there are logarithmic pots. Linear pot will probably give you gain from 1 to 50 or 100. Logarithmic pot would give you gain from 1 to 1000 or more.