Simple Function Generator

Mr_Edward

Joined Jul 17, 2014
hello everyone

so we have this laboratory project where we must build a function generator without the use of 555 timers..

This is the circuit that I got.

i've been looking everywhere for an easy to understand circuit for wave generation and this is the best one i could find.

so is there any way for me to vary the amplitude of the resultant wave of the circuit?

i got this circuit here:

"Circuit tutorial - sawtooth generator w/ current sources, diode switches and hysteresis comparator"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibnz5UjQ4u0

Best Regards,
Edward

Attachments

Mr_Edward

Joined Jul 17, 2014
we've been asked to do Sine, Square and Triangular with variable frequency, duty cycle, and amplitude. i've got the duty cycle adjustment from the pots on the current source and drain but i can't seem to find a place to vary the amplitude.

any tips on how?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
is there any way for me to vary the amplitude of the resultant wave of the circuit?
Yes. Hints: (a) Consider the purpose of R7. (b) Are you familiar with the use of a potentiometer?

Mr_Edward

Joined Jul 17, 2014
i've tried using it on R7 and it just enlarges and shrinks the wave screwing up the frequency..

i shorted the middle terminal of the pot to one of its other legs or am i missing something?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Just a quick note...

Is that circuit schematic complete? It looks like the second 9v battery has no connection to ground. Is it missing a ground?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Unfortunately, that changes the frequency and amplitude. I think the OP wants independent control over the amplitude.
Yes. I saw Alec_t suggest it. I was repeating what they said.

About that R7. It is connected to op amp. Is that the amplifier op amp or is it something else? It sounded like one of the functions of that op amp was to amplify the signal, but like OP said, it was changing the signal. Would that mean that OP needs a buffer between amplifier and the rest of the circuit?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Its wired as a comparator. It just goes from the + limit to the - limit. Changing R7 changes the hysteresis, the switching point, but that won't change the amplitude because its already at the limits.

Mr_Edward

Joined Jul 17, 2014
Hi,

Just a quick note...

Is that circuit schematic complete? It looks like the second 9v battery has no connection to ground. Is it missing a ground?
the circuit works... and the 2nd 9v is connected to a 2nd ground to the right.. I still haven't cleaned this circuit yet so it looks like a jumble of wires..

Mr_Edward

Joined Jul 17, 2014
Its wired as a comparator. It just goes from the + limit to the - limit. Changing R7 changes the hysteresis, the switching point, but that won't change the amplitude because its already at the limits.
i'm thinking of changing the comparator with a RS latch then connecting the Q' terminal to the diode switches.. a friend of mine suggested it but then again the problem lies on changing the amplitude..

can a non-inverting amplifier be connected after the unity gain op amp?

Mr_Edward

Joined Jul 17, 2014
hi,
This is one option, the output OPA could also be used to give some Offset.

E
i haven't tried that configuration yet..thank you very much.

can an integrator be connected to produce a sine wave? or do i have to build another circuit like colpitt's or the like?

what did you use for your simulation btw?