Simple 230V Spa Motor Wiring Question

Eshernius

Joined Jun 5, 2020
I have a question that is probably simple but I' a novic at this stuff. I'm replacing a 230V spa motor in kind but when reattaching the power cable I have an issue. photos 1 and 3 are the originale motor while photos 2 and 4 are the new one. I would assume line 1 would be the same on both as well as line 2 (old) and 4 (new)? On the old motor Line 1 had the white wire from the power cable connected to it and line 2 was the black wire. Should I wire the new motor as the old one or should line 1 be the black wire?

I think either wire could be connected to either terminal but I want to make sure before I accidentally fry it.

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I don't know why they would require the un-grounded conductor or neutral to be on one particular terminal on the Marathon motor, as technically it should not matter.
But in order to comply, the white conductor would go to this terminal.
Max.

Eshernius

Joined Jun 5, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply,

I don't know if it was necessarily require but it is the way it was wired and it's the original pump.

So technically the black wire should be line 1 on the old Marathon motor? Should the Line 1 on the new US Motors motor be the black wire also?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If not marked on the new motor then it should not matter, generally this is the case.
I don't recall seeing a 1ph AC induction motor that requires the neutral be connected to a particular terminal.
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Yes, on the new motor it should not matter.
Are you in N.A. or where 230v with one conductor neutral.?
You show being in the US, if so there is no neutral on the 240vac.
Max.

Eshernius

Joined Jun 5, 2020
Yes, I'm in the US. The hot tub has a 1 speed and a 2 speed motor in it and they are both 230V. I really needed someone to confirm my thoughts with this since I just don't deal with something like this. I cant get in touch with anyone at the hot tub company and where I got the motor from has shut their tech division down because of this CIVID-19 stuff.

New motor with a pump is around $300 and I just cant see paying someone big money to install something that I can do.

Thank you Max!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You should have no problem connecting the 240v to that motor, in N.A. neither side of the 240v is a Neutral.
IOW, they are identical.
Just make sure you have a earth GND wire (Green) connected to the frame somewhere.
Max