Shunt voltage reference in feedback of integrator/opamp?

Angakok Thoth

Joined Sep 5, 2016
How "stiff" is the constant current source?
Can it be used to directly charge (Integrate) the capacitor to 3V, thus avoiding the frequency response requirement of an integrator
op amp?
I am not sure. I am using an SSM2164 IC which looks liks this on the inside, although beware, that I use a much simplified model in spice, so the complexity is not a problem. The model just read the two current inputs, and makes the current output = current1 * exp(base, current2)
I also marked on the picture my voltages which I'm feeding into it in my case:

current_source.png

If you find the IC more complex then a current source would need to be, one reason is that it interprets that -0.33V to 3.0V exponentially. Around +200mV on that input makes the output current 1/2 smaller.
Another reason is, that the IC is actually something like 2 quadrant multiplier. The part where I'm putting either -9 or +9 could also be actually anything in between.
I know that the IC is meant for something else, but it is what it is. A current in, current out device and there are many products where it's used to feed current into integrator. That's easy. It only gets tricky when the precision clamping is added.

Maybe it would be easier to just use a rail to rail while giving it my reference voltages to it's supply pins, so it would saturate there.

Can the capacitor value be switched on-the-fly to cover the wide integration values?
Unfortunately no. I have to keep it continuous.. No switching.

Last edited: