Shot In the Back

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This is a hot topic in the Cleveland, Ohio area where I live. It has also gained national attention lately with the DoJ getting involved in more and more of these type shootings or even suspects dying in police custody. I generally reserve any comment or opinion till all the facts are investigated. Here in the Cleveland suburbs it's interesting. There are two main camps, those who support the police regardless of their actions and those who are just naturally anti police. I am in a very small camp in that sometimes after looking at all the facts I support the police and other times I condemn their actions. I also figure any large police department is bound to have a few members who never should have been law enforcement officers. These few often bring disgrace and dishonor to their departments.

Having watched the video in this case I see no reason for the cop to have gunned down the suspect. Then too, I wasn't there.

Just My Take
Ron

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
And this shooting has been brought to you by the all new Toyota Camry.

By one or else? o_O

Sometimes you just gotta love crappy ad placement. ;)

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
What did Scott grab at prior to the officer unholstering his service pistol? A taser?

I've read where Scott had an outstanding warrant (child support), which the family lawyer is speculating as the reason he fled the traffic stop scene.

Also, in the "what a coincidence" catagoy, both were former Coast Guardmen.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Ah...fratricide...
Well former and present coworkers and bosses are usually the ones people most often fantasize about killing so.........

Well lets hope I don't get picked for jury duty. :oops:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I am in a very small camp in that sometimes after looking at all the facts I support the police and other times I condemn their actions.
You're not alone in that camp. I generally support the cops because they have an awful job to do for us and, to some degree, we don't have much choice. But I also grew up in rural/suburban America where the pool of people applying for jobs as cops came from the miscreants and ne'er-do-wells I knew in high school. Really, they gave that guy a gun and a fast car? And they pay him? :rolleyes: It's only a small exaggeration to say such folks had a choice; prison or the police force. Mind you, that was decades ago.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I wasn't there and I don't know all the surrounding circumstances etc., but I will be amazed if there is any justification for this shooting.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I wasn't there and I don't know all the surrounding circumstances etc., but I will be amazed if there is any justification for this shooting.
My bet is that the cop's not gonna get the death penalty... but he won't get a slap in the wrist either. My bet's on 10 to 20 years... which will seem like a light punishment by everyone.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
from what I've read, the perp had an outstanding warrant (child support), so at the traffic stop he started his flight for freedom. I saw the raw video, located at

I'm in the undecided camp right now. Who knows what the dash camera saw.

There is a lot more to this story then is being told. They are making good public use of Mr Scotts boot camp photo.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There is a lot more to this story then is being told.
I'm beginning to think otherwise The video speaks for itself. The law says the cop cannot use deadly force unless "... the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious bodily harm to the officer or others".

It'd be 100% different if he was holding a weapon, but he appears unarmed and no threat to the cop, or anyone.

We'll see.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
No one seems to mention the other cop who was standing there when he brought and threw the tazer near the body. His report didn't mention that fact, shouldn't he be charged with 'obstruction of justice'? He witnessed it being done but supported the shooter, this was before they new there was video. They both claimed to give CPR but didn't too.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
If you live in the city where this happened, brace yourself for another round of "civil unrest" -IE- heavy duty, industrial strength rioting.

If the cop gets off, it's going to be just like L.A. after the cops were acquitted in the Rodney King beating. Incidentally, the L.A. riot in 1992 was the most costly disaster in the city and the record for property damage was broken only after the Northridge Earthquake in 1994.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I miss the idea that this kind of thing is always racial. American police shoot 1100 people per year. Some of them are white. What seems racially motivated to me is that when I phone the ACLU, they say, "We don't work for white people." What? Do you think this injustice will never happen to a black person, so you can ignore it?

In this case, I get a strange feeling that the cop actually did not know that emptying his gun into a person with a broken tail light is murder. "We shoot everybody that runs, don't we?"

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
"We shoot everybody that runs, don't we?"
Well yea but I prefer to let them run far enough to think they are out of range then drop a pair of shots, one on each side in the dirt, a few inches away from their feet!:D

It's the only sporting way I can think of to let them know they need a bit more exercise. :p

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I don't know what happened here, other than the videos, but not having all the facts can be very misleading.
I worked a call ( as an EMT) on Christmas eve about 12 years ago. It was a officer involved shooting. I was the first non police on the scene, and the victim had gunshot wounds through his forearms. Classic defensive wounds. The officers were all tight lipped and wouldn't answer when I asked what happened.
As it turned out the "victim" had committed suicide by cop. The officers had removed the weapon from the vicinity of the person, as per protocol, I just didn't see it. The wounds in the forearms were from him holding a rifle to his shoulder and threatening the officers. He had already shot holes through his wifes car, that demonstrated a working loaded weapon (300 Mag, ). His house was in town with neighboring houses in all directions, a 300 Mag would easily shoot through several walls.
And the final proof was the wife saying he was depressed and was going to kill himself, she was removed from the scene before the shooting. As to the officers not speaking to me, that too is protocol, talk to the investigator or your lawyer first.
My point..It's not always as it seems. But this officer has his work cut out for him...

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
So called "Suicide By Cop" is an overused and greatly exaggerated defense for police shootings.

Seems the incidents like these are precipitated by someone with suicidal tendencies, but they also have a gun which escalates the whole affair. Someone calls 911, the cops arrive and see the person with a deadly weapon. Everything goes to Hell from there on.

I don't believe it's a unique and an extraordinary method of offing yourself. It's just an example of "How Do-Do Happens".