Shot In the Back

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1) Two TV stations (that I saw) had this for their, "Headlines" last night but the story was quashed between the opening credits and the actual "news" program.
2) I don't get it. Why is this any different from dozens of other police shootings that have been videoed and "deemed" justified?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Looks like s**t but let the jury find him guilty before the hanging. Shooting a fleeing felon in the back is justified in the right circumstances but I'm finding it hard to build a case for that here.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Looks like s**t but let the jury find him guilty before the hanging. Shooting a fleeing felon in the back is justified in the right circumstances but I'm finding it hard to build a case for that here.
The way I read it, it was a fleeing traffic ticket...but I don't see any vehicles in the video. Lots of information missing.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I agree we've long gone past the "innocent until proven guilty" principle, unfortunately.

That said, evil presents itself in many forms and in all walks of life. If this officer is found guilty of murder, why should it be surprising that he happens to be a cop -- as opposed to a mathematician or a sports star?

There is a tendency these days to assume cops are 'bad'. I work with lots of LEOs, and they are all good guys. They, like me, go to work each day trying to do the best job possible -- and bring home a paycheck to support their families. The difference between them and me, though, is that they know their life may come to an abrupt and tragic end in the course of doing their job. I wouldn't trade places with them for any amount of money.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
it seems that more and more, the dont want to get all sweaty chasing him, just shoot him in the back, regardless of race or anything else is getting more popular, I can see shooting at a bank robber, rapist, anyone waving a gun at the public, ans such, but why was this warrented? trafic? back alimony? if the race card wasnt there would this be on the national news?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
yes they are. but when you look at the actual statistics for wichita ks, the number of police (including special railroad police) killed in the line of duty (not by their partner) is less than the number of killings by police since back in the 1800's when they started keeping score. the news and training makes it sound like the police are in extreme danger all the time, and everybody is out to kill them. more electricians die in wichita every year than police.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
yes they are. but when you look at the actual statistics for wichita ks, the number of police (including special railroad police) killed in the line of duty (not by their partner) is less than the number of killings by police since back in the 1800's when they started keeping score. the news and training makes it sound like the police are in extreme danger all the time, and everybody is out to kill them. more electricians die in wichita every year than police.
I think the phrase "...in a long time" was an acceptable disclaimer. I wasn't even thinking back as far as you. Chicago during the Capone era came to my mind. I know that crime in general has been dropping in the USA for several decades.

An oldie but goodie:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My opinion is that I should be justified in expecting a higher standard of professionalism from a LEO than from an armed mugger, but I have handled an armed mugger with more confidence and more success than I ever had with a LEO. Another way to say this is, "I have had more felonies committed against me by policemen in uniform than all the other people I have ever met, combined." This doesn't mean I want to shoot all cops. It just means I have been disappointed by my personal experiences with them.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
it seems that more and more, the dont want to get all sweaty chasing him, just shoot him in the back, regardless of race or anything else is getting more popular, I can see shooting at a bank robber, rapist, anyone waving a gun at the public, ans such, but why was this warrented? trafic? back alimony? if the race card wasnt there would this be on the national news?
Now that you're mentioning it, the guy did have an arrest warrant for back alimony... it seems that that's the reason why he tried to run away.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
There are only a handful of jobs where you have to make snap decision under pressure and a wrong answer puts you in jail. Unfortunately, cops and bus drivers are about the lowest paid and least trained of any I can think of.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Watched the video. Shocking. I guess the prosecutor agrees.

It sure looks like a massive failure of the cop's training. Even if he just "lost it", his training should have taught him how not to lose control of his emotions. It's part of the price of carrying a gun. Just because some mope is stupid enough to run away rarely means you can repeatedly shoot him in the back until he's down.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Watched the video. Shocking. I guess the prosecutor agrees.

It sure looks like a massive failure of the cop's training. Even if he just "lost it", his training should have taught him how not to lose control of his emotions. It's part of the price of carrying a gun. Just because some mope is stupid enough to run away rarely means you can repeatedly shoot him in the back until he's down.
Have you talked to the accused cop yet? What else did he know about the fleeing felon he shot? What happened in the altercation that preceded the shooting?

Actually, I think a trial is good, if it can be fair. That might get the the cop off the hook for the rest of his life.

John

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Meh. Personally I take a bit of pride in being able to shoot and wound opposed to shoot and kill.
If I shoot and kill the victim never gets to hear my take over the world rant. If I shoot to wound I can rant all day or until they kill themselves. Win win on that one! :D

Really I have noting to add. If I feel that shooting you while you run way is justified.... well you probably had it coming but do know I will be aiming lower being word has it getting shot in the butt apparently really really hurts both in pride and body.:p

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...If I feel that shooting you while you run way is justified.... well you probably had it coming but do know I will be aiming lower being word has it getting shot in the butt apparently really really hurts both in pride and body.:p
Dude, everyone knows you're not supposed to leave witnesses!

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Have you talked to the accused cop yet?
No, and I hope he doesn't get railroaded. His arrest may not say anything about what the prosecutor thinks except that they want to avoid the political pressure that would come from not charging him.

I was surprised and dismayed to learn that the fleeing-felon rule in the U.S. got scuttled in 1985. I guess I wasn't paying attention at the time. The bar is now much higher for the police to justify deadly force.