shorcut protection in a variable witching power supply

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
Hello.

I have a variable witching power supply 0-36V and 15Amps. I´d like to add an electronic protection against shortcuts. I have seen some in internet but they are rated for a fixed voltage. Is there any option to use between 0-36 volts?

Thank you

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have seen some in internet but they are rated for a fixed voltage.
I don't see why they'd be dependent on voltage. You can make your own using a current sense resistor, a comparator, and a P channel MOSFET. The downside is that you're going to affect voltage regulation unless you can put the sense circuitry before the regulated output.

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
No.

But no problem. I understand it is not possible to do it whitout that information, so I´ll just be careful.

Thank you for your help and interest!

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hello.

I have a variable witching power supply 0-36V and 15Amps. I´d like to add an electronic protection against shortcuts. I have seen some in internet but they are rated for a fixed voltage. Is there any option to use between 0-36 volts?

Thank you
Just for the record, you want switching and short circuit instead of "witching" and "shortcut".

I managed not to make some sort of terrible pun. I hope that people appreciate that.

Rufinus

Joined Apr 29, 2020
hahahaha.

I´m sorry. I´m still learning english

A fuse is a good protection? I mean, is it fast enough to protect the power supply?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
That's a bit of an unknown quantity - it depends on how the power supply works.
If it's a current-mode design, it will have some inherent current limiting. A voltage-mode design might not do so well.
I don't think anyone would sell a bench power supply with no over-current protection whatsoever.