Shooting.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I don’t know if this has anything to do with it, but, couple of months ago a reporter was fired at station.
Wait a minute here. I thought the majority of us wanted those in the media dead? Is there a special list I need to be made aware of before I make more plans for the weekend? :confused:

If that person had it in their heart and mind to kill someone, lack of a gun would never stop them.
"Well, I WAS going to kill him for what he did, but I cannot get a gun so I am forced to let him continue living....
SHEEEES people, get a handle on the concept. People kill, not guns.
Yep. I have yet to ever use a gun to kill anyone. :p
(A shotgun shell jammed in a pipe and triggered by a trip wire doesn't count as gun right? )o_O

Actually it does, when I target shoot it brings my blood pressure down.
I've found stabling my a targets to be more effective. It adds a cardio workout that pulling triggers just can't compete with. (Well unless you're the guy I have tied up with the paper target draped over. I bet his heart was racing while fiddled with the trigger!) :eek:

That is a great movie but not one for the squeamish or easily offended.
Well then it's definitely going on my to watch list! :D

(As of lately I kinda feel like l I am loosing my effects on the squeamish and easily offended so maybe this will give me some new ideas to work with .);)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Well then it's definitely going on my to watch list! :D

(As of lately I kinda feel like l I am loosing my effects on the squeamish and easily offended so maybe this will give me some new ideas to work with .);)
Try to find the European version for the full treatment. You have been warned, this movie will haunt you with the level of treachery, butchery and perversion.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Try to find the European version for the full treatment. You have been warned, this movie will haunt you with the level of treachery, butchery and perversion.
Well that sounds like a fitting description of a rather normal day at some of the places I have worked in my life. :rolleyes:
A lot of people thought the director was making satire out of historical events and trying to make them worse than actually happened for dramatic effect. It turns out, his brother-in-law was a historian and the director actually toned down the reality for viewability.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Does anyone know Amazon's attrition rate?

from http://www.payscale.com/data-packages/employee-loyalty/least-loyal-employees
In the last 15 years, Amazon has transformed retail. But big change requires a workforce of talented software engineers, and that’s a job where demand exceeds supply, so many of their employees are constantly being wooed by competitors. In addition, the company has grown so rapidly in recent years that many jobs are new, another reason why the typical Amazon employee has only been with the company for one year.
Where's Darrell Huff ... his "How to lie with statistics" should be required reading for journalists.

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
To avoid the political problem since we do not allow any religious or political sensitive statements, we are closed this thread.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Does anyone know Amazon's attrition rate?

Where's Darrell Huff ... his "How to lie with statistics" should be required reading for journalists.
Average retention at Amazon was reported at 1-year. However, that is like turn-over at McDonalds. Most of the jobs (>90%) are in operations (warehouse fulfillment, not in software/web development or anything other support staff. Some people quite after one day because they don't like working in environments with complete visibility of performance (number of orders filled per hour, where they spend their time on the warehouse floor, incorrect orders, damaged orders, ...). Everything is monitored and there is no way to blame a co-worker for your non-performance. Amazon designs the process so no skills are required, hires people with no (low) skills for these jobs, pays more than minimum wage and has high expectations. It is obvious when they do not work out. Next person...

I do not know how this relates to the front office/development areas. I will say, that I had several projects with Lab126 (http://www.lab126.com/) (and the people there seem to last longer than the mid-level people at Apple.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Thank you Wendy.

Just to be clear, I made my post before I knew that the perpetrator WAS an ex-reporter for that station.

AND the reporter I was referencing was not this reporter.

I don’t recall seeing this guy.

The people commenting here are reacting the same way everybody else is. It’s normal.

The way to fix this, is, like most other problems, is the way you raise your kids.

Clear Definitions. Required Standards.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Average retention at Amazon was reported at 1-year.
No, I believe the article said ... "...another reason why the typical Amazon employee has only been with the company for one year." Amazon has been expanding rapidly. I know the Dallas Operations, order fulfillment center, hasn't been up and running much more than 1 year. They mentioned two reasons for the "low employment length", programming and rapid expansion. Attrition rate is a percentage. We will see what the "employment length" is the next time the survey is taken.

I agree with you that some are not suited for the "fast food" style operations, but McDonalds wasn't the lowest or any of the fast food chains. An insurance company was below Amazon.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business...fillment-Center-in-North-Texas-306648861.html
Updated at 11:53 AM CDT on Tuesday, Jun 9, 2015

Amazon announced Tuesday they will be opening a fulfillment center in Dallas, the third in North Texas and the fourth in the state.

The new 500,000 square-foot facility, which is currently under construction, will be located at the northeast corner of Interstate 45 and Interstate 20 and will bring about 500 new jobs to the area when the facility opens early in 2016.
I suspect rapid growth is the driver of that number. Sensationalism sells news stories. I'll check with the woman I know that works at a fulfillment center and see if exceeding the quota gets her more money or bonus.

Everything is monitored and there is no way to blame a co-worker for your non-performance. Amazon designs the process so no skills are required, hires people with no (low) skills for these jobs, pays more than minimum wage and has high expectations. It is obvious when they do not work out. Next person...
When something is amiss, you monitor. Yes, people blame co-workers, so the monitoring get's rid of he said - she said arguments. Both can be proactive.

I once had a charge that "claimed" a lot of work. I found out when they couldn't fix something, they put it back on the shelf. When confronted, they told me the person assigned to put the covers on messed up their work. We were not making progress on repairing those items fast enough to put back in the pipleline. The whole process was changed making one person responsible for the teardown, repair, renew, and assembly. The QA branch tracked the number received and the number of rejections by technician. Care to guess who had the highest rejection? Your right. I was treated to a dissertation that their newer test equipment was inferior to the older FM monitor test sets. So I swapped theirs with the "newer" technicians "older" FM monitor set. Care to guess who had the highest rejection the following month? Yep, the same person. I did not recommend that person for re-enlistment. Within a year, the shelf was cleared of the many carriers of that FM handheld transceiver. Yes, monitoring can be good. There was no quota in the process, only fix it right. The single technician owned the whole process, including fixing their rejects.

Even higher skill people get "tested". You get tested on every job. Every time you say something is "fixed", the expectation is that it will work for x period of time. If the same problem occurs, your KSA will come under question.

Not everyone has the same work ethic or KSAs. Humanity is full of faults.

I do not know how this relates to the front office/development areas. I will say, that I had several projects with Lab126 (http://www.lab126.com/) (and the people there seem to last longer than the mid-level people at Apple.
That link ended up at:

Amazon Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
No, I believe the article said ... "...another reason why the typical Amazon employee has only been with the company for one year." Amazon has been expanding rapidly. I know the Dallas Operations, order fulfillment center, hasn't been up and running much more than 1 year. They mentioned two reasons for the "low employment length", programming and rapid expansion. Attrition rate is a percentage. We will see what the "employment length" is the next time the survey is taken.
Just because Amazon has a lot of growth in your neighborhood, doesn't mean they weren't already a massive organization. According to their latest annual report, they have 150k people in 2015 and that is 38k more than in 2014. By saying that rapid growth accounts for the average tenure of 1-year at Amazon, that means, (assuming an average of 0.5 years experience for the new people), the existing 113k employees average only 1.15 years of service to have a company-wide average of 1.0 years of service by the end of 2015. Even if all of the employees on payroll at Amazon were hire from 2013-2014, the average tenure would be 1.5 years by the time the 2015 annual report was written. The tenure is less way less so (although some component is due to growth, most is due to turnover) - especially because not everyone was hired in 2013-2014!

When something is amiss, you monitor. Yes, people blame co-workers, so the monitoring get's rid of he said - she said arguments. ...
Even higher skill people get "tested". You get tested on every job. Every time you say something is "fixed", the expectation is that it will work for x period of time. If the same problem occurs, your KSA will come under question.
I wasn't saying that all jobs can be monitored/tested. I am saying that the nature of the order fulfillment software automatically monitors exactly who did what when. Amazon is one of few companies that takes full advantage of the data available to them to tie back to employee performance and get rid of dead weight quickly.

That link ended up at:

Amazon Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies
yes, my point was that Amazon's (Lab 126) product development people seem to hang around longer than Apple's product development people. I was justifying why I thought the turnover is more in the operations group than the professional/technical staffing.I suspect rapid growth is the driver of that number.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Thank you AAC/Wendy for opening this thread up again. I think that as a society, we need to talk about these horrible events, we need to express what we feel, we need to heal, we need to grow. This world has always been violent, humans are not nice people. This shooting was an example of the worse of us. It wasn't a crazy person that walked into a public place and shot people he didn't know. This person shot people he knew, and from what I can see, they were very nice people. Events like this have happened before and the media loves to remind us of just how awful we are. A few of us are awful, most of us are not.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
It wasn't a crazy person that walked into a public place and shot people he didn't know. This person shot people he knew,
That's why I would be terrible in military service. I have to actually know someone before reasons to kill them set in.:p

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
That's why I would be terrible in military service. I have to actually know someone before reasons to kill them set in.:p
Don't worry, they can train that out of you. :p
I agree with you, killing without proper reason is insane. I don't have to know them personally, only their motives for being there and the importance of what needs to be done.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I'm 41 now so I am rather outside the prefered range of draftable people. :p

Add in my bad back, allergies above average IQ and generally unbreakable disposition and I am all but useless to the military. If I don't see something as being to my advantage I'm not trainable in it and being forced into military service at my age is definitely not something I would see as being to my advantage in life. . :eek: