Shocking myself...

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cmartinez, May 19, 2017.

1. cmartinez

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    I've had it with this dry weather that keeps on giving me the jolts! ... I work on a high chair at my office, and these days every time I stand up, I have to remember to use my knuckles when I first touch a metal object. Otherwise the 20k+volts leaving my body make for an unpleasant experience.

1pbjtz.gif

That's my actual hand in the image, btw...

I remember a few years ago I fell for what I now know is a chinese scam in amazon, and I acquired this device that promises to "wirelessly get rid of bodily static electricity"... using a so-called "corona effect" that has nothing to do with what it's supposed to do...

Question, is there really a way to avoid this situation without having to connect oneself to ground through a wire?

My gut feeling tells me that no... that physical contact is the only way to get rid of the charge ...

2. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    Use a conductive anti static rubber mat at your feet,...

3. AlbertHall

Distinguished Member

Jun 4, 2014
  4. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    cmartinez likes this.
  5. MrAl

Distinguished Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Hi,

Hold on to the positive end of a rechargeable battery and touch a metal surface with the negative end now and then, and you'll charge the battery :)

Seriously though, i think if you grab a small piece of metal or other conductive thing and touch that to a larger metal object that is grounded, the spark jumps between the small metal object and the large metal object so i dont think you feel as much. For example, if you wear a metal ring that would do it.

They also make conductive pads for the workbench you might use on the desk.

6. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Re: Conductive pads
    Yes, but then you have to work barefoot. :)

7. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    What is the humidity % at your place, Cesar?

8. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    The best you can do, except for staying connected all the time with antistatic wristbands, is to buy antistatic shoes - they have some defined resistance to ground, and keep you discharged.
    Another option is to stay barefoot, or at least touch the ground with one foot when standing up from the chair.

nsaspook and djsfantasi like this.
  9. boatsman

Jan 17, 2008
    You could attach a light metal collar and chain to your ankle such as is attached to petrol tankers to ground them.

10. AnalogKid

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 1, 2013
    Heel straps and a conductive chair pad. Or a work surface/desktop pad (used to be called a blotter) that is conductive and grounded. Or change your habits. I've been working around electronics for so long that I don't even think about it any more. I reflexively touch something metal whenever I sit down or stand up.

ak

atferrari likes this.
  11. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    A pair of neoprene gloves and you will be all set.

[​IMG]

Sinus23 and cmartinez like this.
  12. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    It varies wildly. Some days it's at 65% in the afternoon (with a 40°C/104°F temp, which is the perfect recipe to steam-cook your face), and others (like yesterday) at 30% ... those are the "shocker" days!

13. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Have you tried fabric softener? There are those dryer sheets, and also aerosol sprays you can apply to clothes to make them hang properly without static. Cheap and easy to try.

cmartinez likes this.
  14. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    very interesting idea... I'll put it to the test right away!

15. AlbertHall

Distinguished Member

Jun 4, 2014
    I worked for a company where the development lab had carpet which generated large voltages when you walked around. Anything metal resulted in painful shocks. I discovered that if you slapped the metal quickly you didn't feel the shock so I walked around slapping things. The company investigated anti-static flooring but the cost was prohibitive.

16. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Ignore the pain. It all becomes worth it on "Bring Your Child to Work Day".

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I like post #5
    Carry a conductor and tap grounded objects with it.
    A fork is my preferred object as I approach the stainless steel kitchen sink.

cmartinez likes this.
  18. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    Maybe we could share cubicles... I'd just have to poke your ear every once in a while...

Sinus23 and R!f@@ like this.
  19. cmartinez

Jan 17, 2007
    As you can see in the first post's pic, I used my knuckle to touch the metal and discharge... that's the painless way to do it... but I don't always remember it and get shocked when I grab the knob of my workshop's metal door ... :mad:

20. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

atferrari likes this.