Shocking myself...

Thread Starter

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
6,935
I've had it with this dry weather that keeps on giving me the jolts! ... I work on a high chair at my office, and these days every time I stand up, I have to remember to use my knuckles when I first touch a metal object. Otherwise the 20k+volts leaving my body make for an unpleasant experience.

1pbjtz.gif

That's my actual hand in the image, btw...

I remember a few years ago I fell for what I now know is a chinese scam in amazon, and I acquired this device that promises to "wirelessly get rid of bodily static electricity"... using a so-called "corona effect" that has nothing to do with what it's supposed to do...

Question, is there really a way to avoid this situation without having to connect oneself to ground through a wire?

My gut feeling tells me that no... that physical contact is the only way to get rid of the charge ...
 

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
7,581
Hi,

Hold on to the positive end of a rechargeable battery and touch a metal surface with the negative end now and then, and you'll charge the battery :)

Seriously though, i think if you grab a small piece of metal or other conductive thing and touch that to a larger metal object that is grounded, the spark jumps between the small metal object and the large metal object so i dont think you feel as much. For example, if you wear a metal ring that would do it.

They also make conductive pads for the workbench you might use on the desk.
 

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
5,724
The best you can do, except for staying connected all the time with antistatic wristbands, is to buy antistatic shoes - they have some defined resistance to ground, and keep you discharged.
Another option is to stay barefoot, or at least touch the ground with one foot when standing up from the chair.
 

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
8,439
Heel straps and a conductive chair pad. Or a work surface/desktop pad (used to be called a blotter) that is conductive and grounded. Or change your habits. I've been working around electronics for so long that I don't even think about it any more. I reflexively touch something metal whenever I sit down or stand up.

ak
 

Thread Starter

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
6,935
What is the humidity % at your place, Cesar?
It varies wildly. Some days it's at 65% in the afternoon (with a 40°C/104°F temp, which is the perfect recipe to steam-cook your face), and others (like yesterday) at 30% ... those are the "shocker" days!
 

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
16,390
Have you tried fabric softener? There are those dryer sheets, and also aerosol sprays you can apply to clothes to make them hang properly without static. Cheap and easy to try.
 

Thread Starter

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
6,935
Have you tried fabric softener? There are those dryer sheets, and also aerosol sprays you can apply to clothes to make them hang properly without static. Cheap and easy to try.
very interesting idea... I'll put it to the test right away!
 

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
9,824
I worked for a company where the development lab had carpet which generated large voltages when you walked around. Anything metal resulted in painful shocks. I discovered that if you slapped the metal quickly you didn't feel the shock so I walked around slapping things. The company investigated anti-static flooring but the cost was prohibitive.
 

#12

Joined Nov 30, 2010
18,210
I like post #5
Carry a conductor and tap grounded objects with it.
A fork is my preferred object as I approach the stainless steel kitchen sink.
 

Thread Starter

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
6,935
I like post #5
Carry a conductor and tap grounded objects with it.
A fork is my preferred object as I approach the stainless steel kitchen sink.
As you can see in the first post's pic, I used my knuckle to touch the metal and discharge... that's the painless way to do it... but I don't always remember it and get shocked when I grab the knob of my workshop's metal door ... :mad:
 
Top