Shipping costs, pleasant surprise.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I ordered parts at Digikey today and requested USPS first class mail. Digikey doesn't add freight costs until the order is compete so it is always a bit of a mystery. I just got my confirmation email...

Your total cost is $18.06 in U.S. currency, including $2.86 postage.
We have billed this to your Visa credit card.
What is this, 1985?

Also, MicrochipDirect.com has free shipping (add the coupon code FreeShipmD when ordering). Just saw that they are offering pickit3 for 50% off as well.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@Lestraveled
It's at microchips e-commerce site, MicrochipDirect.com

It was in the scrolling header. You have to wait for the free shipping and other headers or use the left/right arrows. Some other promotions show up every cycle through the list of offers, the 50% off Pickit3 is less often so keep scrolling.

Now that I click on it, it turns out to be a migration/upgrade program, not a stand-alone offer.
http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/promo/legacymigration/

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I see it is a trade in program in the form of an upgrade, I would not wish to lose the Pickit2 with the stand alone program, Uart and logic debug tool.
Max.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I see it is a trade in program in the form of an upgrade, I would not wish to lose the Pickit2 with the stand alone program, Uart and logic debug tool.
Max.
We are Microchip. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

GIVE US YOUR PICKIT 2 NOW !!!

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I ordered parts at Digikey today and requested USPS first class mail. Digikey doesn't add freight costs until the order is compete so it is always a bit of a mystery. I just got my confirmation email...

What is this, 1985?
That's the standard USPS shipping for 8 oz or less, and my favorite choice (except for the time I misclicked USPS Overnight just above it by mistake and got hit with a $33 dollar bill).[/QUOTE]

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
That's the standard USPS shipping for 8 oz or less, and my favorite choice (except for the time I misclicked USPS Overnight just above it by mistake and got hit with a $33 dollar bill).
I make a lot of mis-clicks and typos on my Tablet. I have to be careful because that could be expensive (2x part cost for that last order). Also, I kind of padded the order because I didn't want the parts to be a huge fraction of the shipping costs. I wasted more than $2.86 in extra pieces. No more, I will order exactly what I need from now on, even if i order several times per month.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I wish I could sing the same praise. Just now hit my inbox:
Your total cost is $204.25 in U.S. currency, including $16.89 postage.

We have billed this to your Visa credit card.

----- Shipment from Digi-Key on 17-MAR-2015 -----

Ship Method: FedEx 3 day Tracking #: 635085502658

Track Package
this is what I ordered:
Panel meter (0.221 Lbs)
rocker switch (a few grams?)