Shipping Costs.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have noticed a recent trend of ebay sellers to ship via DHL International, and some Chinese sellers are also offering express delivery, either at no extra or a small extra charge, these also end up shipping DHL, the problem is that DHL charge on average $16-$20 import fees/taxes etc.
I recently had a quote from a Chinese Co. for some $12.00 items and they would send express for a small fee.
They evidently shipped DHL and I incurred a $16.00 import chg.
It pays to ask now for the name of the shipper.
Max.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Interesting tactic. It resembles shipping "collect" like in the old days. (I haven't heard of anyone doing that for a long time, but maybe it still works.)

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I've gotten a lot of things from China shipped by standard DHL not express, with no import charge. Must have to do with "express". And small packages are delivered by USPO once in the states.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
These are charges for processing the CRA B3 import form and the collection of appropriate taxes.
I am not sure why this is not needed by US Customs?
Probably because it is handed off to USPS.
Max.

Nykolas

Joined Aug 27, 2013
Imports into Canada with a value under C$20 are duty and tax free. I avoid DHL and FED-EX and UPS (in that order) because of these experiences and try to get things via post. E

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I am OK with UPS as I clear my own customs, if sent UPS express, they cover the B3 entry cost.
DHL you don't have the option, AFAIK.
Max.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
dhl is notorious use a fantasy value + add service fee + delivery fee
i try to avoid them for outside europe

express post is 35/2kg

china post is 3 weeks average

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I have noticed a recent trend of ebay sellers to ship via DHL International, and some Chinese sellers are also offering express delivery, either at no extra or a small extra charge, these also end up shipping DHL, the problem is that DHL charge on average $16-$20 import fees/taxes etc.
I recently had a quote from a Chinese Co. for some $12.00 items and they would send express for a small fee.
They evidently shipped DHL and I incurred a $16.00 import chg.
It pays to ask now for the name of the shipper.
Max.
The carrier doesn't add any taxes - but the likes of Royal Mail charge a racketeering "handling fee" to collect it.

I've heard some carriers are even worse than that bunch of crooks!!!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The carrier doesn't add any taxes - but the likes of Royal Mail charge a racketeering "handling fee" to collect it.
The carrier importing here in Canada anyway, collects all the taxes and any customs import duties according to the Commodity number, much is covered however by NAFTA and Most Favoured Nation, but GST & PST is still collected.
For this they charge a brokerage fee.
CanPost/Customs intercepts the odd one, but they are a little overwhelmed to stop that many, their fee is only $5.00.
Max.