shiny solder

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
Hi, I'm here to ask advice about some special solder alloy. I saw on some Airbag ECU that the the solder alloy remain so shiny for more than 13year. When I say "shiny" I mean shiny like the ball of bearing ball, like a mirror completely smooth and shiny surface. And in this case the pcb was not covered with PCB Lacquer .
So. did you ever find something like this?

Can you tell me if you have some shiny weld in the past and with which product?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Tin/Lead solder can remain shiny if there is a layer of flux on the surface. It doesn’t have to be thick, just enough to keep out the air. Lead-free solder starts out dull, but lead-based solder when properly used has a very shiny appearance.

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
Thank you so much Ya'akov. I already know what you say but this one was very very shiny. It was on a large capacitor (like AA battery) and I removed it then soldered again without adding tin alloy. He remained shiny and didn't become opaque. That is why I think there's a special tin alloy.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thank you so much Ya'akov. I already know what you say but this one was very very shiny. It was on a large capacitor (like AA battery) and I removed it then soldered again without adding tin alloy. He remained shiny and didn't become opaque. That is why I think there's a special tin alloy.
Sn/Pb solder will stay shiny for some time even without protection.