Setting up this alternator

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
Hello,

I have this old alternator, which I'm trying to setup for an exercise bike. Previously, I had worked with a kind of different alternator, although the operating principle is the same, it confuses me a little bit. Below you can see the alternator, its nameplate, and a 0.5 ohms/100 watts power resistor. In the yellow circle you can see the alternator's pins functions: B+, tach, GND, and FLD (field). When pedalling, I should expect a voltage between B+ and GND, right? Because I see nothing when I measure it. Also, the resistor should be connected between B+ and GND? And how can I vary the strenght of the field through the FLD pin? In other alternators, I've seen two pins for the field. In this case, should I vary the voltage between FLD pin and GND (ground) ?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If the field winding is brought out it looks to me as though the regulator is missing, you can make one with a LM311 or similar. Unless you can get the correct one from a wrecker, BTW typically you need a initial voltage as most auto alternators are not self exciting.
Max.

Last edited:

Xavier Pacheco Paulino

Joined Oct 21, 2015
If the field winding is brought out it looks to me as though the regulator is missing, you can make one with a LM311 or similar. Unless you can get the correct one from a wrecker, BTW typically you need a initial voltage as most auto alternators are not self exiting.
Max.
My confusion is more about the wiring. This is what I think:

1- Power resistor between B+ and GND.
2- Regulator between FLD and GND
3- The tach signal might no be of interest

Am I right?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You need to apply 12v to the Field Terminal and gnd, to excite the alternator, then when peddaling you will get an output at the B+ and gnd.

You will need the regulator or have to make one, to maintain 14V output.