Setting up old Baldor VFD - issues with control wiring

ryanjg117

Joined Nov 3, 2017
Howdy - I'm setting up an old VFD, model ID15J100-ER. Even though this drive was manufactured in 1999, I miraculously was able to find the manual online: http://www.baldor.com/Shared/manuals/715j-799.pdf.

Note this drive was not actually made by Baldor, but by IBT who I understand is the OEM for many big automation brands.

This drive inputs 120vac and outputs 230v 3-phase. It is wired to a Baldor 1hp 3-phase motor/blower assembly. I intend to use it as a vacuum for a dust collector I'm building for my sandblaster. Here's a picture of the build in process:

cyclone24.jpg

The drive works just fine when controlled from the keypad, but I would like to adjust speed with an external potentiometer, and turn on/off the drive with a separate maintained pushbutton. I would eventually like to put it in an enclosed cabinet, along with a breaker and contactor.

My issue is - I can't get the control wiring or external potentiometer to work.

I have programmed the drive to operating mode "Fan Pump 2 Wire Connection" and below is the connection diagram from the manual for this operating mode:
vfd1.JPG
I have jumpered terminals 18, 16, and 11, but when I turn the unit on, nothing seems to happen. The unit goes into the correct operating mode and shows REMOTE control (not keypad) as it should, but the drive never goes into FORWARD and hence the motor never starts; it stays in STOP mode.

I'm new to reading wiring diagrams so it's worth checking if I have jumpered the right terminals as the manual shows above? Do I need to jumper Run Command (16) and Speed Command (17)? There doesn't seem to be any explanation of what those pins do, but it might be general VFD terminology I'm not familiar with?

The other issue I'm having has to do with menu items seemingly absent. Note this drive's model number is technically ID15J100-ER while the manual lists it as ID15J101-ER, so I'm thinking I might have a pre-production or earlier beta unit with limited functionality? It's worth noting I received this VFD from a previous Baldor employee... There is supposed to be an auto-run parameter under the Miscellaneous programming section as shown below, but this setting is absent in my drive:

vfd2.JPG
So I'm wondering if the issue with it not starting based on control input could also be caused by the absence of the auto-run capability?

The potentionmeter I've attached to the terminal blocks 4, 5 and 6 inputs also does nothing. Which is leading me to believe perhaps the entire J4 terminal block is not working, or was never enabled from the factory.

Considering simply purchasing a new VFD and replacing this, but at $250 I figured it would be worth a shot to see if I can get some advice here. And to rule out any stupid things I might have done. Any ideas?

Last edited:

ryanjg117

Joined Nov 3, 2017
Powered it up and switched the RUN pin, still nothing. All of the wires should be coming from pin 18 (input common), correct?

It's fine to use a solid 18awg wire for this purpose, right? It's not shielded or anything (I know that's best practice.)

ryanjg117

Joined Nov 3, 2017
@strantor - Wired it up as you suggested. No response. See below for pictures:

vfd4.jpg

vfd3.jpg

The three leftmost wires (with the ferrules) are from the potentiometer. I only connected and screwed down pin 16 after the unit booted up.

At the very least, I would expect the unit to go into FORWARD mode and await a signal from the pot, right?

ryanjg117

Joined Nov 3, 2017
Does it operate from local control? You said it did. Run through your parameters.
@GetDeviceInfo - It does run on local control just fine. I hit FWD and then I turn the arrows up to increase Hz/speed. No problem there. When I switch the operating mode to FAN/PUMP 2 WIRE from KEYPAD, and restart, the unit automatically restarts in remote mode as evidence by the REM in the display in the picture above.

I've experimented with different operating modes as well, along with re-wiring the control inputs to match the manual suggestions, no dice. So I'm thinking I might have a beta drive or one with a non-functioning terminal block for the control inputs.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
What is ANA CMD Select set to?
How many ohms is your pot?
Have you verified that you have a changing DC voltage between terminals 4 and 5 when you turn the pot?

ryanjg117

Joined Nov 3, 2017
@strantor - With your latest terminal connection advice, it's alive! And the potentiometer is working perfectly.

Thanks all, for saving me $200!

Now that I know pin 11 needs a momentary connection after the unit has booted, I think I will get a potentiometer with integrated switch.

Thanks again!

ryanjg117

Joined Nov 3, 2017
Before all you geniuses leave, one more question:

Since I'll be putting this in an enclosure, I'd like to throw a fan in there for airflow and to create positive pressure. I was thinking I could use one of the drive's relay outputs to trigger the fan. Here's what the manual states:
vfd5.JPG

Would a fan capable of running on 230vac, like this one, work here?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Personally I would run the fan continuously off of 120v, or 230v, if this is your service voltage.
As soon as the enclosure is powered.
Usually VFD output are for dedicated functions such as At-zero-speed, At-Run-speed etc, etc.
Don't forget the filter on the input.

ryanjg117

Joined Nov 3, 2017
Personally I would run the fan continuously off of 120v, or 230v, if this is your service voltage.
As soon as the enclosure is powered.
Usually VFD output are for dedicated functions such as At-zero-speed, At-Run-speed etc, etc.
Don't forget the filter on the input.
Just grabbed a noise filter for the input and some ferrite cores for the output. Service is 120v so I will get a 120v muffin fan. It will serve as a reminder that the machine is on.