Setting L297's chopper and L298's sense resistor for stepper motor

crazybuoy

Joined Sep 19, 2010
I have a bipolar stepper motor with 3 ohm winding resistance, ~4kg weight and 160mm x 87mm dimension. I have not any other informations about this motor. I want to build driver using L297 & L298.

I want to find following things according to above stepper motor:

The value of sense resistors
The value of variable-resistor in L297's chopper
The recommended stepper power supply (L298 - pin 4)

The schematic of L297's chopper attached. Is it suitable? You may recommend adding other component in this schematic.

Edit: I have uploaded another schematic for limiting reference voltage for L297. Please suggest which one is more suitable.

Please recommend above three things.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Please check the tag of stepper motor to see the values of V/I?
Please attach your whole circuit, otherwise our members can't see the whole picture, so they can't give your the best suggestion.

crazybuoy

Joined Sep 19, 2010
Dear Sir,

I have said already, that I have not any other informations about motor, because it has not any label or company name. I only checked winding resistance (3 ohm) with multi-meter.

The driver circuit that I want to build is attached here. Again, I want to know these things:

The value of both sense resistors
The value of resistors in L297's chopper (L297-pin 15)
The recommended stepper power supply (L298 - pin 4)

Attachments

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
The Vref is set for the peak current, the first circuit is set for all range as adjust from 0 to peak current, the second circuit is set for limits range, assuming that set for 1/2 peak current then the adjust range is 1/2(peak current) to the peak current, what is good that is depends on what you trying to adjust.

You can also choose the voltage divider as 1/5(peak) to peak, 2/5(peak) to peak, 3/5(peak) to peak, 4/5(peak) to peak.

crazybuoy

Joined Sep 19, 2010
Thanks for very professional reply.

Now I understand, that the first one with variable resistor and capacitor is better because it offers higher adjustable range.

Please suggest the value of variable-resistor, because the range depends on this component. I have 100nf capacitor.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Because the Vref was connected to the input of op amp inside of the L297, so I will suggest the value of variable-resistor is :
R3 = Vcc/1 mA (in your first circuit, the R3 is a variable-resistor or called potential meter , normally we will use as VR1 or Pot1)

exp: Vcc = 5V
R3 = 5V/ 1 mA = 5K

If you want to use 10 K then it should be ok, you can try different values and to feel the adjust feeling to match what you want.