Serial In/Serial Out shift register

MWalden

Joined Apr 26, 2007
On the serial in serial out shift registers page of the digital section here on this website, at the bottom of the page it has a dual 64 bit serial in serial out shift register set up for 16 bit tap on top and 64 bit on bottom. But on the bottom 64 bit shift register the data is going into the clock input and the clock is going into the data input?? Why is this??

Also what are shift registers used for? I understand maybe data transfer using least amount of wires converting parallel to serial or serial to parallel before sending the info? but why use a serial in serial out shift register or parrallel in parallel out shift register as it would use the same amount of paths to transfer the data wouldn't it?

One more thing, the parallel in serial out shift register page is blank for me, I am assuming it hasn't been written yet right? or is my computer messed up? Only reason I ask is because usually the sections that haven't been written yet says "Pending" or something like that. Just wondering.

Thanks

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
1. Shift registers hold the operands in a serial Arithmetic Logic Unit or ALU
2. Shift registers are used in communications to recognize a particular pattern of bits.

MWalden

Joined Apr 26, 2007
Oh ok, I guess I will learn more about that in the next few chapters.

What about that the clock and the input being reversed on that page I described in my first post? I couldn't figure out why it was like that?

Thanks for the help.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The people responsible for the content are probably looking in the feedback section. I agree that somethin is wrong with the labeling in that last example as you pointed out.