Sensitive Microphone Amplifier

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
If you built the preamp on a solderless breadboard then the added capacitance of the messy long wires and rows of contacts probably causes the opamp to oscillate at a high frequency. Use a planned stripboard or a pcb instead.
Your preamp has a fairly low power supply voltage so maybe its gain is too high and its opamp is clipping.

Vipul Kumar 1

Joined Oct 20, 2018
i hv build the circuit on pref board
ok then what should be the power supply to get rid of clipping
and can i get the simulated results of my circuit on Ltspice i am requesting you because i hv no idea how to simulate and troubleshoot a circuit

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Your schematic shows a lousy old LM358 opamp again that has a lot of distortion so it is never used for audio.
I brightened and spread out your output waveform that is fuzzy but shows pretty bad distortion and a high frequency signal which might be oscillation caused your simulation software.
Why is the output capacitor value so high at 1000uF? This circuit uses an opamp with a max output current of about 10mA, it is not a power amplifier that can drive 250mA into a speaker. Its very distorted maximum output of only 10mA peak in an 8 ohm speaker is a continuous power output of only 0.0004W.

Here is the output of the opamp of an LM324 that is a quad that uses the same opamps as a dual LM358. It shows severe crossover distortion:

Attachments

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
what should be the c2 value at the output
Your preamp circuit in post #43 uses a lousy old LM358 opamp, not a power amplifier that drives a low impedance speaker.
If the load is the 10k ohms input of an amplifier or recorder and you want the output capacitor to have a -3dB cutoff frequency of 30Hz then the capacitor value should be 1 divided by (2 x pi x 10k ohms x 30Hz)= 533nF. Use a 470nF film capacitor.

Vipul Kumar 1

Joined Oct 20, 2018
thank You, Bertus and Audio Guru
One more problem i coped when i am using the preamplifier with laptop/desktop
when i use mouse it give odd sound during right click/left click even when i hover over the mouse on desktop ???? but when i disconnect the mouse no problem at all what is the solution for that ??
because i can stop using mouse with laptop cause it has its own touchpad but i cant stop using mouse one desktop

Vipul Kumar 1

Joined Oct 20, 2018
thank very much sir
today i will purchase all the components
yesterday i made one circuit using View attachment 182098
every thing is same but opamp in my case is lm358 but the problem is when i am connecting the output and power to my laptop i am getting kind of a rfi or groudloop/humm/buzz not even connecting the mic
ref video url:
How can we make the above preamp schematic a balanced input? pls provide schematice for that

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The circuit you made has a schematic showing a single NJM5532 audio opamp. Since it is made for audio it has low noise and low distortion.
But you used an LM358 dual opamp instead which has two noisy and distorted opamps. The unused opamp is probably oscillating and is causing your rfi and buzzing noises.
The old circuit you used has many problems. It feeds battery fluctuations directly into the microphone and opamp since it is missing the filtering that my circuit has.

Why do you want a balanced output? Your laptop does not have a balanced output.

Vipul Kumar 1

Joined Oct 20, 2018
The circuit you made has a schematic showing a single NJM5532 audio opamp. Since it is made for audio it has low noise and low distortion.
But you used an LM358 dual opamp instead which has two noisy and distorted opamps. The unused opamp is probably oscillating and is causing your rfi and buzzing noises.
The old circuit you used has many problems. It feeds battery fluctuations directly into the microphone and opamp since it is missing the filtering that my circuit has.

Why do you want a balanced output? Your laptop does not have a balanced output.
I need balanced beacuse it need clear output without any interference so i need to make it balanced with 2 core shield cable or pls kindly tell the schematic with reference to mine how can we make it balanced so that rfi can be eliminated?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
when i am connecting the output and power to my laptop i am getting kind of a rfi or groudloop/humm/buzz not even connecting the mic
If the mic isn't connected then the amp input is presumably floating and can pick up all sorts of interference.
What sort of power supply is it? That might be the source of mains hum.

Vipul Kumar 1

Joined Oct 20, 2018
If the mic isn't connected then the amp input is presumably floating and can pick up all sorts of interference.
What sort of power supply is it? That might be the source of mains hum.
when mic is not connected not inteference but when i connect my mic it starts picking up RFI power i am using 9v battery eveready company

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
You seem to buy Chinese junk from AliExpress. Maybe their electret mic is noisy and is poor quality. Maybe their shielded audio cables are poor quality. One time I bought a cheap Chinese shielded audio cable from The Dollar Store and it picked up rfi. Radio Shack sold the exact same one at 10 times the price.

The mic MUST be connected to the preamp with shielded (one core plus shield) audio cable.
The opamp MUST be a single audio opamp, not a dual, noisy and distorted general purpose LM358.
The battery MUST be a new and modern Energizer or Duracell alkaline one, not an old, obsolete Eveready carbon zinc one.
Energizer bought the Eveready company many years ago.

Your circuit directly feeds power supply noise into the input of the opamp because it is missing an RC filter.
The two ceramic 0.47uF input capacitors are very poor for audio, instead use one 0.1uF (100nF) film capacitor.
The preamp MUST have a gain control for you to adjust the maximum output level without clipping distortion.

Your output capacitor should be 0.33uF (330nF) film one, not a huge 1000uF electrolytic one that will take many minutes to charge.
Your laptop does not have a balanced input so you cannot connect a preamp that has a balanced output.

EDIT: Your sketch shows the wrong cable for the mic. The mic is unbalanced so you need an ordinary unbalanced shielded (one core plus shield) audio cable.