Sensing the characteristic impedance of the transmission line

kintaro

Joined Jun 1, 2022
I found that an easy way to get the information of a characteristic impedance of a transmission line is to use a voltage pulse.
As below, the pulse varies from 1V to 0.3V. When the pulse drops from 1V to 0.3V, the voltage at 'node' drops to 0.558V before going back to 1V.
Interestingly, the 0.558V happens to be the case if we consider the transmission line as a resistor of 60 Ohm.
Why is that for that short period this happens?

Does anyone know how to explain it conceptually?
Thanks.
1669796710906.png

WesBrodsky

Joined Dec 27, 2019
I found that an easy way to get the information of a characteristic impedance of a transmission line is to use a voltage pulse.
As below, the pulse varies from 1V to 0.3V. When the pulse drops from 1V to 0.3V, the voltage at 'node' drops to 0.558V before going back to 1V.
Interestingly, the 0.558V happens to be the case if we consider the transmission line as a resistor of 60 Ohm.

Thanks.
View attachment 281827

Thanks.
View attachment 281827
You have created at Time Domain Reflectometer. Look it up