Sending Temperature Data To My Phone

GettinBetter

Joined Jun 22, 2018
Hi Peeps,
I want to collect temperature readings from my gearbox, and send any alarms to my phone along with a timestamp.

It believe it needs to:-
Read analogue temp K-type probe.
Run a RTC for the timestamp.
Trigger a relay for remote alarm.
Transmit data to my phone when temp rises to preset alarm temp.

I've never dabbled with IoT which is where I think I need to go, stop me if I'm wrong.

My question is which PIC?
Which dev board would you suggest?
What is the typical data transfer method to my phone (or what options)?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
are you familiar with the esp32. It could be bluetooth or wifi. I assume you are driving, or is this watching a remotely operated vehicle. You say 'my' gearbox' to 'my' phone, but lets get that out of the way. Maybe a hard wired solution that logs and alarms via a lamp or audio?

GettinBetter

Joined Jun 22, 2018
Thanks for the reply, & no I am not familiar with the esp32. I'll have a look, I'm just trying to work out where to start.

The gearbox is on my vehicle, and largely unattended, and never looked at, when it fails, it fails catastrophically, so I'm trying to get an early warning. But I also want to know when it overheats while someone else is using it, hence the timestamp.

The relay will be hard wired to the helm with a buzzer and as you mention a light.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
a phone alert is going to bring some complexity, and I'm not sure to what advantage it would bring. To data log gearbox temp, and issue a warning, I would google data loggers as there are many. You queried PIC. What is your basic knowledge of micros?

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You might want to consider Blynk, which is an IoT platform that includes an app you can use as a custom interface.

The free tier option allows two devices, so it should work for you.

You might also want to consider Particle who offer a set of small boards that work with WiFi and also cellular. For small traffic, the cellular service is free if you buy the board.

GettinBetter

Joined Jun 22, 2018
a phone alert is going to bring some complexity, and I'm not sure to what advantage it would bring. To data log gearbox temp, and issue a warning, I would google data loggers as there are many. You queried PIC. What is your basic knowledge of micros?
Ah, the 64 million dollar question. :D
Well, I've done a few LED flashing, PWM, and GLCD, and I2C, and a few others on 8 & 16 bit, MCU's
Dabbled with PIC24's & PIC33CHes, got a degree in electronics, but still haven't scratched the surface. So still a beginner really.

The phone alert is only applied when a predetermined temperature is reached, and in theory should allow for investigation prior to causing irrepairable damage, however the timestamp is to know if someone else used it, at what time it happened.
So there is no real data logging, as anything under the alarm temp won't be recorded, and anything over, well I'll have to think on that one.

You might want to consider Blynk, which is an IoT platform that includes an app you can use as a custom interface.

The free tier option allows two devices, so it should work for you.

You might also want to consider Particle who offer a set of small boards that work with WiFi and also cellular. For small traffic, the cellular service is free if you buy the board.

Cheers Yaakov, I'll check the links out.

GettinBetter

Joined Jun 22, 2018
These wireless thermometers have an app with logging and alarms, very handy.

Brifit Wireless Thermometer... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DLHFKT3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I didn't mention, they need to be waterproof or at least in the high IP range. Thanks anyway.

are you familiar with the esp32. It could be bluetooth or wifi. I assume you are driving, or is this watching a remotely operated vehicle. You say 'my' gearbox' to 'my' phone, but lets get that out of the way. Maybe a hard wired solution that logs and alarms via a lamp or audio?
I went with this suggestion. It may or may not do what I want but what a great little device. Having played with it, my concept has evolved, and still is, and has certainly broadened my knowledge with respect to networks. All good fun.. and I appreciate the input from you guys:)