Sending analog data wirelessly (3 axial Accelerometer)

jadkh

Joined Apr 2, 2021
I have an accelerometer (KS943B100) that I want to read its value wirelessly, in real-time. Without an internet connection, is it possible to have a compact ADC that sends data wirelessly to my computer using Bluetooth or wifi?
Is it possible to reach 10kHz of data sampling?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I have an accelerometer (KS943B100) that I want to read its value wirelessly, in real-time. Without an internet connection, is it possible to have a compact ADC that sends data wirelessly to my computer using Bluetooth or wifi?
Is it possible to reach 10kHz of data sampling?
What are you sending to?

jadkh

Joined Apr 2, 2021
Right now, I have an NI cDAQ-9171 connected via USB to a PC, and the wired sensor (KS943B100) is connected to the DAQ. My objective is to make the system wireless. I didn't find a wireless sensor that meets my standards (500g), so I have to process its data and send it to the computer directly, or to a module (receiver) that is connected to the PC.
I attached the product that I'm inspired with. (the head)

Attachments

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Right now, I have an NI cDAQ-9171 connected via USB to a PC, and the wired sensor (KS943B100) is connected to the DAQ. My objective is to make the system wireless. I didn't find a wireless sensor that meets my standards (500g), so I have to process its data and send it to the computer directly, or to a module (receiver) that is connected to the PC.
I attached the product that I'm inspired with. (the head)
Yes, this is possible to do. Do you have experience with MCUs and interface electronics?

jadkh

Joined Apr 2, 2021
Yes, this is possible to do. Do you have experience with MCUs and interface electronics?
Yes, I'm a graduate electrical engineer and worked with DAQs and LabVIEW. I have the LabVIEW code for the system and I wish to use it and not re-write it with another language.
Can you tell me which devices, modules, ADC should I use to make that happen?
The system is not stationary and the technicians should be able to move the machine with all of its components

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
OK, so you will need an MCU with a suitable ADC on board or separate to encode and transmit the data. The one you choose might be based on your own experience but if not, an Arduino compatible choice will be easiest to develop.

You will need another to connect to the serial port on the DAQ.

Between, you will need a wireless module. My first suggestion would be the nRF24L01P+PA+LNA like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QC1SXJ8

More detail is going to be very difficult without more information.

jadkh

Joined Apr 2, 2021
OK, so you will need an MCU with a suitable ADC on board or separate to encode and transmit the data. The one you choose might be based on your own experience but if not, an Arduino compatible choice will be easiest to develop.

You will need another to connect to the serial port on the DAQ.

Between, you will need a wireless module. My first suggestion would be the nRF24L01P+PA+LNA like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QC1SXJ8

More detail is going to be very difficult without more information.
So I want to use 2 MCUs as receiver and transmitter to transfer the data. Right?

More details:

The sensor has 3 outputs (its 3 axes x,y,z) with a binder plug to 3 BNC plugs. Can Arduino connect 3 BNC plugs to read the sensor's data? And which module/extension should I use to connect the 3 simultaneously?

Do I contact you here to update you on my project?
Thanks for your help.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
So I want to use 2 MCUs as receiver and transmitter to transfer the data. Right?
Yes, one of the MCUs will have to be more capable from the point of view of ADCs. You will need 3 with sufficient precision and speed for your data. This won't be too challenging but you may have to use external ADCs.

The details of these components requires research but shouldn't be too hard to find and the parts are pretty cheap.

More details:
The sensor has 3 outputs (its 3 axes x,y,z) with a binder plug to 3 BNC plugs. Can Arduino connect 3 BNC plugs to read the sensor's data? And which module/extension should I use to connect the 3 simultaneously?
You will have 3 ADC inputs, you may have to deal with impedance matching but the connectors will simply be part of the build, the ADCs and MCU don't care about connectors.

Do I contact you here to update you on my project?
Thanks for your help.
I am here a lot, other people can help too. In a situation like this, with a project of medium complexity, you will really have to start it and as you encounter questions and problems you can ask here. There are a lot of people who can help.

I'd start by compiling a proposed BOM (Bill of Materials (parts list)) for the major components and asking about that.

jadkh

Joined Apr 2, 2021
Thank you for your fast replies.
I will be here for some time:p

If I want to build a sustainable solution, a company product to commercialize, can I use Arduino as my MCUs?
If not do you propose another MCU that could do the job?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thank you for your fast replies.
I will be here for some time:p

If I want to build a sustainable solution, a company product to commercialize, can I use Arduino as my MCUs?
If not do you propose another MCU that could do the job?
Arduinos can be embedded. But "Arduino" is a vague term in this case. I would take a look at Teensy and the STM-32 based boards. I lean toward Teensy because of the range offered and the very high capacity of the top end Teensy 4.1

The other end, the LC, is cheap and useful as well.

There is no problem to use the Arduino ecosystem.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
By the way, you are sure to encounter a lot of strong opinions on this and the way I will support my own is to say that you can find successful commercial products and a lot of support for my suggestions.

jadkh

Joined Apr 2, 2021
Yes, one of the MCUs will have to be more capable from the point of view of ADCs. You will need 3 with sufficient precision and speed for your data. This won't be too challenging but you may have to use external ADCs.

The details of these components requires research but shouldn't be too hard to find and the parts are pretty cheap.

Hello again !

With this solution, is it possible to read the sensor's data in real-time?

And to be clear minded, do I still not need my NI-cDAQ ?
My system will contain: 3-axial Accelerometer --> 3 DAC inputs --> MCU --> Wireless module(TX) --> RX --> MCU and then directly to the laptop with LabVIEW ?

Thanks

jadkh

Joined Apr 2, 2021

jadkh

Joined Apr 2, 2021

Sending analog data wirelessly (3 axial Accelerometer)

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...ly-3-axial-accelerometer.177855/#post-1614242

A small recap:
3 axial IEPE Accelerometer --> ADC --> MCU1 --(wireless module)--> MCU2 --(serial)--> NI DAQ --> Laptop

1) Anti-aliasing Filter
With research, I noticed that I need an anti-aliasing filter. My sampling frequency should be a minimum of 20KHz and I need a low pass filter of half the value. Do I need a Brickwall filter? Or I can use an RLC or 3rd order Butterworth, etc.
Are there pre-built filters or do I need to build my own?

2) ADC
The ADC inputs of the teensy 4.1 should do the job? If not, any advice for an external ADC manufacturer?

3) MCUs
Teensy 4.1. This should do it or do you have any comments?

4) Wireless module
NRF24L01+ PA+ LNA

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator: