Seeking suggestions for a capacitance tester

Rabbit H

Joined Aug 5, 2016
I need a capacitance tester. It won't be used professionally so it doesn't need accuracy to six decimal points but it shouldn't be total crap either. And since I already have several good multimeters (none which have a capacitance function), a capacitance-only tester will suffice. It would be nice to find one that meets NASA specs AND doesn't cost more than ten dollars but that's probably asking a bit much.

Any suggestions?

Harvey

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
"Capacitance tester" covers a pretty broad territory; if you could narrow it down a bit that would be helpful. Range of capacitances you're interested in, characteristics you want to test (other than just measuring the capacitance), frequency range (if applicable), etc.

Rabbit H

Joined Aug 5, 2016
"Capacitance tester" covers a pretty broad territory; if you could narrow it down a bit...
I need a tester that'll help me identify and verify a typical* kit's capacitors without having to decipher its cryptic markings. Probably not the specific answer you're looking for but after retiring from a career in radar electronics, I'm just a small-time tinkerer now.

*closer to audio than microwave frequencies

Harvey

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I need a tester that'll help me identify and verify a typical* kit's capacitors without having to decipher its cryptic markings. Probably not the specific answer you're looking for but after retiring from a career in radar electronics, I'm just a small-time tinkerer now.

*closer to audio than microwave frequencies
That narrows it down just fine; it wasn't clear to me what sort of measurements you had in mind and you've cleared that up.

I like the meter @crutschow suggested, and I may just buy one for myself as I don't have a capacitance tester. For the past 40 years or so I've been getting by with just a 555 timer IC configured as an oscillator, with the unknown capacitor connected as the 555's timing capacitor. Measure the frequency, and calculate the capacitance from the formula on the 555 data sheet. Crude, and not terribly convenient, but it works.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
How about this one.
It got good reviews.
I ordered one of these from Amazon and it arrived today. Very nice! I tested it with an assortment of capacitors including some 1% mica caps in 1 nF, 2 nF, 5 nF and 10 nF, as well as a bunch of ceramic and electrolytic caps, and the meter appears accurate. I don't have any capacitors on hand accurate enough to verify the meter's stated +/- 0.5% accuracy spec, but it seems plausible.

A good buy, IMO.

Rabbit H

Joined Aug 5, 2016
Mine arrived yesterday and it also appears to be relatively accurate. (By relatively, I mean I'm not expecting a whole lot out of a $19 tester!)

What tickled me was that the battery was already installed and the display lit up when I turned the selector switch. (Not even a new $4,967.98 NASA meter will include the 9v battery!)

Harvey